is it worth updating 4.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i mean ios 4.2. I have 3.2.2. something like that. After doing some research, I found people complaining about wi-fi drop from apple forum, weird buttons config, such as mute button, and itune not recognizing ipad or ipod stuff.
I know it has some cool features...like finding your ipad and airprint.
is it worth it?

Reaction score
Yeah it's worth it. The wifi issues I think were only in the beta, and yes the orientation lock is now an app mute switch, but you can now double click the home button for the multitasking bar, and swipe that to the right to reveal the the orientation lock, the iPod controls and the screen brightness. Between that and folders, it's definitely worth it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah it's worth it. The wifi issues I think were only in the beta, and yes the orientation lock is now an app mute switch, but you can now double click the home button for the multitasking bar, and swipe that to the right to reveal the the orientation lock, the iPod controls and the screen brightness. Between that and folders, it's definitely worth it.

has there been an issue regarding itune recognition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The 4.2 update was actually delayed while Apple ironed out the Wi-Fi issue from the beta, hence why this update is 4.2.1 and not just 4.2.

I upgraded a day after it came out and I have had zero problems with it. I even managed to jailbreak it but there really isn't much use for the jailbreak since I can now multitask and use folders natively.

I would highly recommend everyone upgrade their iPad to 4.2, it is certainly a much needed upgrade.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes.

There is no wifi issue with the public release.

There is no weird buttons config, such as the mute button. It is functioning as designed. That is, the mute button, which use to be the orientation lock, now mutes the system sounds. It does not mute individual application sounds. Muting of applications is still done the same as it always has been done. (Although, some of us, including myself, don't care for it this way. The button now works the same way as it does on the iPhone. However, the iPad is not an iPhone and there are a great many of us that use the iPad in totally different ways than we do the iPhone. While I understand wanting continuity between all the iOS devices, giving us a 1 step process for the last 7 months and then taking it away to become a 4 step process, has some of us a little ticked off. This was a bad move, imho. And, I believe they should have provided an option to keep it the same as it has been. This is the first time with any of my Apple products, that I'm wondering if they hired some folks from MS.)

I have not seen anyone report the issue of the iPod app not recognizing your existing music on the iPad. That seems to be relegated to the iPhone only and is easily solved. The music is still shown on the device in iTunes. Play a song or video from the device in iTunes, it will flash on the screen for about a second saying it's syncing and everything reappears.

Between folders and access to the brightness and iPod control without the need to leave an app, the upgrade is well worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
i mean ios 4.2. I have 3.2.2. something like that. After doing some research, I found people complaining about wi-fi drop from apple forum, weird buttons config, such as mute button, and itune not recognizing ipad or ipod stuff.
I know it has some cool features...like finding your ipad and airprint.
is it worth it?

Seriously? These questions were already answered in another thread where you asked the same thing. Why did you feel the need to create a new thread to spread misinformed rumors about issues?

OP
K
Reaction score
Seriously? These questions were already answered in another thread where you asked the same thing. Why did you feel the need to create a new thread to spread misinformed rumors about issues?

Weird..I guess I missed the topic while i searched...my bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Oh you mean the people who upgraded to 4.2 from the dev area before Apple replaced it with 4.2.1?

So please stop spreading issues that don't exist, especially after you've been told the right answer more than once. Just because you don't want to believe the answer doesn't mean you need to continue to start new threads and pretend you weren't told the answer already.

Locking this thread since it's been answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.