Trackpad Functions and Sensitivity

Reaction score
Thanks for helping,

I just got a 13" Macbook Pro after using a Macbook for three years. I have found the trackpad to be terribly sensitive, often zooming in or out, opening a link in a new tab, or even locking my screen so that I have to input my password to unlock it again. Not only do I not know how to adjust the sensitivity, I also can't find any indication anywhere of some of the features that are happening, specifically, opening new tabs or locking the screen. There are other things that happen occasionally, too. Neither System Prefs nor the Apple website give any indication of these features. Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The screen locking sounds like you have a hot corner setup, with the display set to sleep.

As well as the above, a password to unlock the desktop when it does in your security settings, so you'd want to uncheck that.

The trackpad sensitivity takes a little getting used to, but these are the settings that work for me (note that I also have dragging unchecked).

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The only thing is my hot corners aren't set up for security or anything. This password deal happens when I'm using two fingers to scroll around; the image on my screen backs up and turns like a cube, revealing a different face that asks me for my password. This is really annoying, especially since I find NO REFERENCE AT ALL to any such feature. I normally like Apple's minimalist style, but this is one time I could use some more information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thanks for the advice. The only thing is my hot corners aren't set up for security or anything. This password deal happens when I'm using two fingers to scroll around; the image on my screen backs up and turns like a cube, revealing a different face that asks me for my password. This is really annoying, especially since I find NO REFERENCE AT ALL to any such feature. I normally like Apple's minimalist style, but this is one time I could use some more information.

Say what?

Can you please take a screen shot of this to show us what it is exactly that you are seeing?

OP
K
Reaction score
I can't take a screenshot of the other screen, but it looks exactly like the Login screen. But this gesture doesn't log me out, because my applications stay open. Also, I figured out the gesture: if I swipe downward with two fingers, it does this thing, but only occasionally. I just tried to logout and log in to see if the screens were the same, and now this gesture hasn't worked in the last few tries. But, now that I've said that, it'll probably happen every time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.