First Post: Reeaaaalllyyy Slooowwww Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hey guys !

First post here ;D

So I purchased a Macbook Pro ( The very basic model) in the beginning of March 2010 and everything was working GREAT until around last week. I was video chatting with my friend and I noticed I couldn't keep a connection for more than 2 minutes. I then thought it was a problem with my internet.

So I opened up virtual DJ and started messing around, and I looked at the top, and the gauge for "CPU" was filled all the way to the top. Strange... since DJ was the only program running, it shouldn't be taking up that much CPU!

Since my computer was getting slower, and slower over the course of one week, I did some research and I "Repaired my Disk" in disk utility about an hour ago.

But still, my computer is running incredibly slow, and my CPU gauge from Virtual DJ is still through the roof.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

TL ; DR : Computer was slow, Repaired Disk, Still slow.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Open up Activity Monitor (Applications => Utilities). Sort by CPU utilization. That should give you a pretty good hint.

Most of the time when I see these things, it's usually a poorly coded Dashboard widget or something like that. Just have to narrow it down to the specific process.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the help so much.

But there's nothing too out of the ordinary here.

When I looked at it sorted by CPU, I only saw 2 things at the top of the list,

Google Chrome renderer, and shockwave flash.
Each had around 10% of the CPU.

And when I opened Virtual DJ as a test to see how much CPU it takes up, it was an astonishing 90%.

It seems like the problem here is my computer doesn't know how to manage applications anymore... And I don't know how to fix it. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Another thing for general slowness - make sure your hard drive has at least 20% of its capacity available. So, for a 100GB drive, you'd want at least 20GB free.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have 122 out of 160 GB free..

Hopefully I can uninstall the program and my problem will be over. -___-

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.