ipod which to get

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
Going to buy a new iPod on Black Friday. I will use it to play music. My mp3 collection. Which one should I get? I was thinking about the 3g Touch 32 gb. Does this have good sound quality? Or should I go with the 4g 32 gb?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How big is your music collection? Do you intend to use it in the car?

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right now my collection is 9 gb. I add to it as I buy cd's. My car has a 6 cd changer in it that will play mp3's. I usually make cd's to play in the car. There is a iPod connector in the car I just have not used it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right now my collection is 9 gb. I add to it as I buy cd's. My car has a 6 cd changer in it that will play mp3's. I usually make cd's to play in the car. There is a iPod connector in the car I just have not used it.

Yeah, I'd say at least double the size of your collection is a good rule of thumb. To me, the primary appeal of an MP3 player is to be able to take my entire collection with me. Sounds like you might have something like Ford's Sync system (with a username like V6Pony, I'm guessing you're driving a Mustang). So, no worries about trying to manipulate a touchscreen while driving. I'd say you're on the right track.

I've had aftermarket iPod Integration solutions from DICE and USASPEC in my last 4 cars and that's where my iPod lives nearly full-time. It's nice to have a "radio station" that only plays the music I like. I keep it on shuffle all the time.

My solution was a 30GB iPod Classic. More recently, I upgraded to a 16GB iPod Nano (the previous generation) and couldn't be happier with it. I also have an iPod Touch, but I mostly surf and play games on that device. Across the iPod line-up, the audio quality is consistently excellent. Apple doesn't skimp on the audio components of the iPod. You can't go wrong with any of their models.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I'd say at least double the size of your collection is a good rule of thumb. To me, the primary appeal of an MP3 player is to be able to take my entire collection with me. Sounds like you might have something like Ford's Sync system (with a username like V6Pony, I'm guessing you're driving a Mustang). So, no worries about trying to manipulate a touchscreen while driving. I'd say you're on the right track.

I've had aftermarket iPod Integration solutions from DICE and USASPEC in my last 4 cars and that's where my iPod lives nearly full-time. It's nice to have a "radio station" that only plays the music I like. I keep it on shuffle all the time.

My solution was a 30GB iPod Classic. More recently, I upgraded to a 16GB iPod Nano (the previous generation) and couldn't be happier with it. I also have an iPod Touch, but I mostly surf and play games on that device. Across the iPod line-up, the audio quality is consistently excellent. Apple doesn't skimp on the audio components of the iPod. You can't go wrong with any of their models.

Thanks for the reply cwa107. Yes I do have a Mustang Convertible love my car. Nothing make the ride better than good music. If you feel the 16GB nano has good sound quality I may go with that model. I like to use head phone sometimes also "not in the car". You think the nano has enough power to run the headphones?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply cwa107. Yes I do have a Mustang Convertible love my car.

I love your car too ;) Have been a Mustang fan since I built my first model of a '65 fastback many years ago. I'm hoping that one day I won't need to drive in snow or carry around two car seats in the back and I'll be able to buy one at that point ;)

Nothing make the ride better than good music. If you feel the 16GB nano has good sound quality I may go with that model. I like to use head phone sometimes also "not in the car". You think the nano has enough power to run the headphones?

Yeah, the sound quality is very good amongst all of the iPods I've ever listened to. And there's no worries about running them with headphones, power is not an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As cwa107 said Apple did not skimp on sound quality I use a 30g gen 5.5 iPod for auto
and home as for headphones found that it will power most but if you stay under 100ohm
impedance the dynamics, bass and volume will be better.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the reply cwa107. Yes I do have a Mustang Convertible love my car. Nothing make the ride better than good music. If you feel the 16GB nano has good sound quality I may go with that model. I like to use head phone sometimes also "not in the car". You think the nano has enough power to run the headphones?

Another Mustang owner here. (98 GT) As far as the 16 GB Nano is concerned, it has plenty of power to drive most headphones. I bought one for my wife last month and she loves it. The small touch screen may be a bit hard to get used to but other than that, it's the best Nano yet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another Mustang owner here. (98 GT) As far as the 16 GB Nano is concerned, it has plenty of power to drive most headphones. I bought one for my wife last month and she loves it. The small touch screen may be a bit hard to get used to but other than that, it's the best Nano yet.

Yeah, I like my Nano quite a bit (mind you, I have the previous generation - bought it just before the latest came out). It's amazing how much tech they've packed into that tiny package.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well ended up with the iPod Nano 6g 16 gb. Can't believe how small it is not much bigger than a silver dollar. I've sync'ed it already the sound is very good. I'm using the Apple headphones now. Have to say they are pretty good. I bought a set of Sennheiser CX 300-II have not tried them yet. I'm quite pleased. I went this way. Thanks for everyone's input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Just upgraded my old iPod to a

16 gig iPod Nano. Have over 3,000 songs in it and love it. Lives in the center console of my car, wired to my car stereo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.