iMac G3 noob.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
hi all. have just bought a imac g3 of ebay. was cheap at £21. it works and everything but it is a bit slow. it is currently running mac os 9. 30gb hard drive. 256mb ram. :D

See i bought a new(used) hard drive for it. just a 120gb one cause i know that the max is 128gb. well it was already formatted. and i know now that i need to partition it. but i am not sure how? i mean it is already formatted.

Any help on how i can partition it would be of much help!

Kind Regards

Jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums
You can install the HD to the computer then boot the imac into the OSX disc. Then open disk utility and it gives you all the options for formatting, partitioning etc.

- Simon

Reaction score
There really is no need to partition unless you just want to, or you're planning on installing more than one OS.
Just install and go...
You say it is already formatted? With what? If this is a new drive, probably FAT32 or NTFS for Windows.
You may need to reformat it to HFS to install OS 9.

Reaction score
What OS are going to install. If its never had OSX on the machine and you install a clean HD you may run into firmware issues. The boot rom has to be 4.19 before you install OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.