• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best way to store/compress video files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I have a 500GB HD on my MBP and am FAST running out of space! I have a lot of pics, music, but I think what is chewing up the most of my HD space is my video clips as I record and edit all in HD files.

Would my best bet be to just compress them all into a .ZIP and then delete the originals, or just store them all on an external HD and then delete what is on my MBP, or something else? TIA.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm pretty sure compressing video files, unless they are RAW footage will not shrink much ...you should invest in an external HD and back up there..

Regards

C

chas_m

Yes, it's nuts to keep HD files on your boot drive (or excessive amounts of pics and tunes for that matter). All three main programs that work with pictures, music and movies will let you keep separate libraries on other drives, and HDs are crazy cheap these days, so that's the way to go.

PS. If you're not already backing up to an external drive -- I guess you'll need at least two external HD's -- one for the "media" and a BIG one to back everything up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Another vote for the external HD. I don't believe ZIP will compress it much further but if your videos are in high quality HD format then you probably don't want to degrade the quality with compression. I know I wouldn't do it.

I don't have as much video as you do but I do have lots of photos that I keep on an external HD with a second external that is basically a clone of that. As chas has mentioned if you only have one copy of your files then you don't have a backup solution.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Get another external HDD and back up your stuff. Burn them onto DVDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.