Macbook Pro Stuck In Sleep Mode-Won't Shut Down!?

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
New to the forum here. Got a little crisis on my hands. So I put my computer to sleep overnight with low battery and I come to open it this morning to charge it and it stays in sleep mode. Nothing I do will wake up the computer eventhough I notice that the light is no longer getting dim or bright. I force shutdown the computer but when I press the power button again it seems to just go into sleep mode again. I do not hear any chimes and I noticed that the caps lock key does not light up, if that makes a difference, and the screen stays black. Also, the battery is full. I even took out the battery to make sure it had to shut down but when I restarted....no chimes and no display.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)
Can you remove the battery? If you can, remove the battery and keep the power button pressed for 5 seconds, the release. Put the battery back and strat up.

If you can't, press the Left Shift+Control+Option and the power button, then release them at the same time. Now try to power it up.

This will reset the SMC which, among other things, will help with power issues. From Apple's website:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
Power
The computer doesn't respond to the power button when pressed.
A portable Mac doesn't appear to respond properly when you close or open the lid.
The computer sleeps or shuts down unexpectedly.
The battery does not appear to be charging properly.
The MagSafe power adaptor LED doesn't appear to indicate the correct activity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.