Volumes folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp2.2G core2D, 4g ddr2, 750g, 1TB external, 80g I-Pod,iPad2 16g
I noticed that my Volumes folder which contains backup details only is actually called 'olumes'. Having lost the 'V'. What's this about? Can I correct it?

Jim

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??? I don't have any folder called Volumes.

Is this folder created by some app you have that is storing it's information there?

The name of any "folder" can be changed. Highlight it, press enter, type the new name, press enter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The name of any "folder" can be changed. Highlight it, press enter, type the new name, press enter.

I think there are some exceptions, but I can't test that theory at the moment. Some things in the System Folder probably are "locked".

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
??? I don't have any folder called Volumes.
There is a Volumes folder, located in the root directory, but it's hidden. Your HD is mounted there as are flash drives, disk images and other disks. For instance, I just mounted the Opera 11 beta and it was mounted to /Volumes/Opera/.

Aside from bobtomay's advice of simply renaming it, what are you referring to when you state that it, "contains backup details only"? Are you trying to manage files on a device mounted there?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ahh, I never see it then. I only turn on showing hidden files when needed for troubleshooting my machine.
How would that folder ever had it's name changed from the default though?

And toMACsh is probably correct as for being able to change "all" folders - at least without changing permissions on some of them.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How would that folder ever had it's name changed from the default though?

And toMACsh is probably correct as for being able to change "all" folders - at least without changing permissions on some of them.
That's a very good question. I'd test it but I'm not really in the mood to start changing the names of system folders. It's possible that an application caused that if it had the proper permissions but I can't say that for sure. It's also possible it was done manually but I don't see why someone would be messing with the naming of that folder in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
That's a very good question. I'd test it but I'm not really in the mood to start changing the names of system folders.

No worries, it won't let you. I just unlocked System/Library and still could not even get the name to highlight so I could rename it to. . . Library. :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure if I used root privileges, I could do it. ;) If not, there are always live environments. Still, no desire here!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well guys. Looks like I got your interest. But no I'm not daft. The various system folders show up when you click Devices and click on your "dsjhksjh**'s MacBookPro" or "Macintosh HD". It doesn't seem possible to change these Folder names (even if you wanted to and why would you.....?) by any of the usual means. So something, a programme? or what? has changed the name of the file which should obviously be called Volumes. I just wondered...why? how? and does it matter? I can live with the crappy spelling if it's not important.

BTW it contains Backup details of my Applications folder. I restored some stuff in Applications from Time Machine, using Back-in-Time.

Jim

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the /Volumes folder will need to be spelled correctly. I haven't tried changing the name but I can't imagine any good would come of not having it there (this would be why it's so hard to change the name in the first place).

Now, the Volumes folder will not by default be visible (it's hidden). Have you enabled the ability to view hidden files/folders in Finder? If not, I'm willing to guess that the "olumes" folder you're seeing is not in fact the Volumes folder spelled incorrectly. As a test, go to Finder and push Shift-Command-G and enter /Volumes. If you do that and get a folder with an alias to your HD, you're fine.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the /Volumes folder will need to be spelled correctly. I haven't tried changing the name but I can't imagine any good would come of not having it there (this would be why it's so hard to change the name in the first place).

Now, the Volumes folder will not by default be visible (it's hidden). Have you enabled the ability to view hidden files/folders in Finder? If not, I'm willing to guess that the "olumes" folder you're seeing is not in fact the Volumes folder spelled incorrectly. As a test, go to Finder and push Shift-Command-G and enter /Volumes. If you do that and get a folder with an alias to your HD, you're fine.

Thanks Vansmith. Carried out your test and it's as you say.
In finder click on Macintosh HD and then the window shows:Applications, Library, olumes, private, Shockwave Log, System, System Volume Information, untitled folder, User Guides And Information, Users. However, I don't think that it's possible to change any of these names.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You probably could change the name if you really wanted to but I wouldn't (you're asking for trouble if you do). If you've managed to mount disk images (dmgs), use flash drives and boot your machine with no issues, drives are successfully getting mounted to /Volumes. I hope that helps (although it doesn't help you figure out what "olumes" is).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You probably could change the name if you really wanted to but I wouldn't (you're asking for trouble if you do). If you've managed to mount disk images (dmgs), use flash drives and boot your machine with no issues, drives are successfully getting mounted to /Volumes. I hope that helps (although it doesn't help you figure out what "olumes" is).

Cheers. Yes everything works fine and I'll let you know if I find out anything significant.

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yea, most people don't know about the Volumes folder, but when you're in terminal and trying to call one of your network drives, you find out pretty quick :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Good morning Vansmith

I checked my Time Machine backups, today, and found that "olumes" only appeared on a back-up dated 3 Nov. Previously it didn't appear on the HD list of folders. It had info. referring to one backup dated 28 Oct and a copy of all Applications (not aliases) and nothing else. So for safety I have copied the folder in its entirety to an external drive and then deleted it. Restarted and voila! everything works fine and...I have 5gb extra free space on my HD. It wasn't anything to do with Volumes and I can only think that it was created by Back-in-Time which I was using at the beginning of the month.

Cheers
jim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.