Sudden appearance of a log in box on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
This morning I booted up my iMac(after just shutting it down last night) and a log-in box appeared. In 15 months of owning this machine, I've never seen a log in box(computer isn't even passworded, no need and I don't want it). Anyway I couldn't get around it and didn't have a password to log on. Called Apple and the girl got me into my iMac, but she wound up adding a password. Now every time I turn it off and turn it on, I have to provide the password.

I hate it and would like to turn everything back off. Any ideas or should I just call Apple? In System Preferences, under account, it's got automatic login for my name. This fix also caused Mobile Me to forget it's password and a few other passwords to be forgotten. I think I've fixed all that, but I don't know if it caused the problem below

This has been my worst day owning an Mac because tonight, all 3 of my calendars got deleted when Mobile Me malfunctioned and I'm lost on what to do. Sorry for the sob story, but it's just been a horrible computer day

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This morning I booted up my iMac(after just shutting it down last night) and a log-in box appeared. In 15 months of owning this machine, I've never seen a log in box(computer isn't even passworded, no need and I don't want it). Anyway I couldn't get around it and didn't have a password to log on. Called Apple and the girl got me into my iMac, but she wound up adding a password. Now every time I turn it off and turn it on, I have to provide the password.

I hate it and would like to turn everything back off. Any ideas or should I just call Apple? In System Preferences, under account, it's got automatic login for my name. This fix ...

So, is it fixed or not???

If not, go back into the preferences and turn off the auto login, close preferences, open them back up and put the check back in - try a reboot. See if that works.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bless you Bobtomay. It wasn't working,but you fixed it! Thank you.

I've got one more question. When I used to install new software, I also didn't have a password. I just hit return and left the password field blank. Will this new password have to be inserted now when I install software or is this entirely different?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am sure that it will... it may seem a hassle, but you are much safer this way - as long as you don't forget your password.

You could try going into Accounts and change your password back to a blank one - have never done this on any computer and don't recommend the practice though.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for everything Bob. You made my day!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.