Internet Downloads Location

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been having some problems concerning the location of the files I download from the internet. I'm a DJ and I keep all of my music on an external, and certain folders of the external (depending on genre, etc.). I select the location by going to Safari>>Preferences then selecting the folder on my hard drive that I want it in. Recently, my files have automatically been ending up in my "Downloads" folder. I noticed in the preferences, the location for some reason changes to the downloads folder immediately after it starts. I even tried dragging the files individually to my external but it says the file already exists and can't be duplicated or something of that nature.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My guess would be that on occasion you download something while the external is not connected. If you do, it's going to automatically change the download location back to the default Downloads folder.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Bob's right (We seem to say that a lot around here). It will also default to that Downloads folder if you are downloading to a network location that isn't available.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Next time you get ready to download something, make sure your external drive is attached and change the download path to show the external by doing this:

Safari -> Preferences -> General. "Save downloaded files to" And enter the path to your external drive. It should stay that way unless for some reason you remove the drive and decide to download a file. Then, it will default back to the downloads folder.

OP
D
Reaction score
Next time you get ready to download something, make sure your external drive is attached and change the download path to show the external by doing this:

Safari -> Preferences -> General. "Save downloaded files to" And enter the path to your external drive. It should stay that way unless for some reason you remove the drive and decide to download a file. Then, it will default back to the downloads folder.

That's literally exactly what I do and it immediately reverts back to the default downloads folder. Then when I try to manually drag it to the drive in the finder it says "file name already exists" even though it doesn't! Ugh it's so annoying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.