Landscape lock?

Reaction score
Why does Apple give us Portrait lock but no landscape lock??

When I am reading in bed and turn on my side, the ipod rotates the wrong way. Clearly the device is capable of locking in landscape mode because so many apps use it.

What's wrong with just an "orientation lock" instead of "portrait lock"? Or have I just completely missed how to do this on my 3G ipod touch?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They want you to buy an iPad for reading. Get a lock for both directions then. ;D

OP
C
Reaction score
They want you to buy an iPad for reading. Get a lock for both directions then. ;D

But with them changing the side switch to a mute button, will the portrait lock work the same way on the ipad that it does on the ipod? Is the ipad losing its landscape lock?

I know the ipod didn't cost quite as much as an ipad, but it wasn't exactly chump change either! :D

When I read in bed, I lay on my side. The ipod is landscape relative to my eyes, but portrait to the Earth. I feel like I have to fight the ipod to be able to read. It's frustrating...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, I know. I read laying on my side also. But, nope, the iPad still has it's lock. Just not so easy to get to any more. Now you have to double tap the home button, swipe to the right and then you have access to the lock - pitr. Unlock? yep - double tap, swipe and then unlock.

Oh, and everybody that wanted the mute button... they didn't get that either - it only mutes system sounds and nothing else. So they still have to hold the volume switch for that 1 second they were complaining about to mute everything else.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. I read laying on my side also. But, nope, the iPad still has it's lock. Just not so easy to get to any more. Now you have to double tap the home button, swipe to the right and then you have access to the lock - pitr. Unlock? yep - double tap, swipe and then unlock.

That's just how it works for the ipod ... are you sure the ipad will still lock in landscape? Have you tried it out with the new 4.2?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, because that's how I read all my books. Don't use portrait at all for books on the iPad. I like that two page open book appearance. Actually, there are very few things I use portrait for at all. Only made it through 5 pages last night before I fell asleep. :Sleeping:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Oh, and everybody that wanted the mute button... they didn't get that either - it only mutes system sounds and nothing else. So they still have to hold the volume switch for that 1 second they were complaining about to mute everything else.

Actually that's exactly how it's supposed to work (just like on the iPhone), and it is what I wanted. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I really don't find it that difficult to do, and honestly, how often do you switch your orientation lock back and forth? I can't imagine it's done on a super regular basis given the way most people seem to use their iPads that it would be that much of a burden?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really don't find it that difficult to do, and honestly, how often do you switch your orientation lock back and forth? I can't imagine it's done on a super regular basis given the way most people seem to use their iPads that it would be that much of a burden?

Actually, I use(d) that lock multiple times a day - every day.

I also find it to be enough of a hassle to unlock it now, that I'm already finding myself blowing it off and adjusting to use the screen for the next app in the orientation it's in rather than have to change it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I use(d) that lock multiple times a day - every day.

I also find it to be enough of a hassle to unlock it now, that I'm already finding myself blowing it off and adjusting to use the screen for the next app in the orientation it's in rather than have to change it.

But by multiple, are you talking about every minute or a few times a day? I'm just having a hard time thinking it's really that much more difficult the new way. I rarely ever found the need to lock my orientation on my iPad very often, so maybe I just use it different.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use it probably 10-15 times a day.

I understand the reasoning for a system sounds mute and I have no ideas on how to make both a system sound lock and an orientation lock user friendly.

But, I do not find a three step process just to lock/unlock the screen to be user friendly in the slightest.
Although, I'm sure I'll adjust to it. Just rather wouldn't have to.

edit: Actually, I do. A simple system preference allowing the use of that switch according to the desire of the user. Shouldn't be that hard to do, since it apparently is controlled via the software anyway.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm with Bob on this one. In fact I find the new lock procedure a pain. Can't seem to bring up the lock properly. I must be skipping something.

One of the reasons I use the lock quite a bit is for a few apps that insists upon opening in portrait mode even though I prefer to use them in landscape mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.