Can I get sound to my receiver from my Imac I7?

Reaction score
Hi there! This is my first post so go easy on me :)

I have a new iMac I7 (mid-2010 model) which I have connected to my home theatre in another room. I have connected it via a mini-DV-HDMI adapter. I get a video display no problem, but cant get any audio. Instead, I have connected the audio via the headphone jack. My issue is that when watching movies etc I want the audio to come out of the home theatre in 5.1 surround, which I imagine the stereo headphone jack cannot do.

My question is how to get audio out of the Mac in 5.1 surround? I think there is an optical out on the mac but my problem with that is my home theatre is quite a distance away, and Im not even sure optical cables exist that long.

I read somewhere that newer models of Macs support audio through the miniDV port? Is that only macbook pros? can mine do that?

Would this work??: Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter

Thanks for the help!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The Moshi will work - here are a couple more - bottom of post 4- link.

The headphone jack is a combo jack, e.g. it supports analog and digital. You just need a toslink to mini-toslink adapter like this - link - to connect a standard optical cable to the receiver. You can probably find a 25' toslink cable, probably not be able to find one that long with the mini-toslink at one end.

And FYI: The video port on your Mac is not called a mini-DV. It is a mini displayport - or mdp for short. Not the same thing.

Also note: you will only get 5.1 from 5.1 sources out of your Mac. DVDs, movies from iTunes, etc. There is no Dolby digital, so when listening to stereo sources, like all of your music, you'll need to use your reciever if you want a faux 5.1.

OP
C
Reaction score
The Moshi will work - here are a couple more - bottom of post 4- link.

The headphone jack is a combo jack, e.g. it supports analog and digital. You just need a toslink to mini-toslink adapter like this - link - to connect a standard optical cable to the receiver. You can probably find a 25' toslink cable, probably not be able to find one that long with the mini-toslink at one end.

And FYI: The video port on your Mac is not called a mini-DV. It is a mini displayport - or mdp for short. Not the same thing.

Also note: you will only get 5.1 from 5.1 sources out of your Mac. DVDs, movies from iTunes, etc. There is no Dolby digital, so when listening to stereo sources, like all of your music, you'll need to use your reciever if you want a faux 5.1.

Fantastic response. And thanks to the above poster as well. Cheers guys. This is great info. Im picking up the Moshi today.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.