• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple rumored to release iOS 4.3 with app subscriptions in December

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
That soon? Nah.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
In addition to app subscriptions, the software update may also address initial issues with AirPlay.

This has me interested. I'd trade "multi-tasking" and "folders" ANY day for the ability to print from my iPad or iPhone via Wi-Fi. I can't express how disappointed I was to find out it was limited to 11 HP printers ONLY. ...for now. :Angry:

Reaction score
The article isn't too clear on what App Subscriptions are…what the heck are they talking about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
The article isn't too clear on what App Subscriptions are…what the heck are they talking about?

Whatever the apps want them to be... Subscription to a car mag, newspaper, etc. with a recurring monthly (weekly?) fee.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This spp subscription does not have to be a fee based thing. I imagined it as you have a list of your apps. And for all the Apps you are subscribed to, you get a push notification when an update is ready to download. And you'd get the push notification during any app with multitasking.

And yeah the new version could be the next issue of an ipad magazine, a new version of the app, communication from the developer, or something else we have not thought of.

Reaction score
When the new operating system does come out is it loaded through itunes? Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When the new operating system does come out is it loaded through itunes? Thanks

That has been the trend with every update to iOS so far, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
At first, I didn't think this would be all that great, since there wasn't that great of sucess from the WSJ app.

But the details of the subscription service looked a bit more promising, and the magazine subscriptions would surely be a success. However, I'll still stay with Google News and other free venues for my current news.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iOS 4.3 rumored for mid-December with in-app subscriptions
iOS 4.3 rumored for mid-December with in-app subscriptions

It seems the app subscriptions are:
That update is said to bring a new subscription billing API for in-app purchasing, according to MacStories, enabling app developers to collect recurring charges directly through iTunes for print, video, or other content.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.