Macbook white battery suddenly dies

Reaction score
Hi there

So I've had my macbook white for about a year and a half, and it was working fine until one day I noticed that the charge was going down even though it was plugged in. Then, it turned off, and I couldn't turn it back on. The problem is, that when it's turned off, the magsafe comes up orange, but as soon as I turn the computer on, the light switches over to green. It's really weird.. So I turned the computer off, left it plugged in all night, then woke to find the magsage light still orange, and when I turned it on, it only had 10% power!

I managed to check coconutbattery while it was on, and it's still showing that the battery has excellent maximum charge level, but for some reason it's just not charging.

I've tried resetting SMC, and the PRAM, to no avail. Software update is completely up to date too, and I have a feeling that this might have something to do with it, as I updated it very recently (a few days before the problems).

I don't really know what else to try, and it's out of warranty.

Please help

Reaction score
You might want to try a different magsafe charger. You could also take it into apple if you have applecare.

OP
A
Reaction score
You might want to try a different magsafe charger. You could also take it into apple if you have applecare.

Hi, unfortunately I don't have applecare, I didn't have the cash for extra insurance, so had to make do with the 1 year warranty, which has now expired. I didn't think that it could be my charger.. What can go wrong with it?

Reaction score
I'm not clear on what exactly can go wrong with a charger but if you can borrow one from a friend or use one of the ones in the store and it turns out that is the problem it is a pretty cheap fix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.