SMS Ringtones

Reaction score
I've eagerly awaited iOS 4.2 with the hope that the rumors were true and we'd finally be able to customize our SMS ringtones with content from iTunes. But, alas, it seems we've only been given a new batch of crappy stock ringtones to use.

My questions are twofold:
  1. Does anybody understand the logic behind Apple handicapping our ability to use custom SMS ringtones?
  2. Am I missing some key point and there is, in fact, a [legal] method that I can use to customize them?

Thanks!

Z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
[*]Does anybody understand the logic behind Apple handicapping our ability to use custom SMS ringtones?

The logic is that if you the user, want that kind of control over your iPhone, and they gave it to you, it's possible that you'd also be dumb enough to install some malicious or harmful piece of software or code, and then Apple would no longer be responsible for your warranty. Or at least, that's the excuse they use in order to control every little thing you can and can not do with THEIR firmware.

Which brings us to:

Am I missing some key point and there is, in fact, a [legal] method that I can use to customize them?
Z

I'm not sure if there's more to it than what I said, beyond what others will of course tell us, while in the process of defending said bonehead move by Apple but... Legally, you are now able to Jailbreak your phone!

So, go have a ball and upload which ever sms and alarm tones your little heart desires ! Weeeeeeee...

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Somehow I suspect that this, and custom e-mail tones, are linked to the fact that iOS is a modified version of OSX. Ever tried to change core sounds in OSX? It's doable, and not that hard, but it's not really intuitive either. It's odd that the core sounds are not in a standard new Apple format (mp4, m4a etc) but are still AIFF sounds instead (at least in 10.5, I haven't looked at 10.6 yet).

Some time back when I still had my 3G I JB'd it so see if I could do either of these and was amazed to find that there were few (or no) options even in that realm for changing the tones. That right there tells me there is something more than meets the eye about making these tones users changeable. Maybe things have changed with the new iOS 4 JBs though.....

Could Apple do it? Sure, and it seems odd that they haven't...

OP
Shikarnov
Reaction score
The logic is that if you the user, want that kind of control over your iPhone, and they gave it to you, it's possible that you'd also be dumb enough to install some malicious or harmful piece of software or code, and then Apple would no longer be responsible for your warranty. Or at least, that's the excuse they use in order to control every little thing you can and can not do with THEIR firmware.

Unfortunately, that logic cannot hold water since you're perfectly able to add in custom ringtones for calls. I cannot see how customizing the alert for one form of incoming communication would be secure while doing the same for another form of incoming communication would not be. <sigh>

Which brings us to:

I'm not sure if there's more to it than what I said, beyond what others will of course tell us, while in the process of defending said bonehead move by Apple but... Legally, you are now able to Jailbreak your phone!

So, go have a ball and upload which ever sms and alarm tones your little heart desires ! Weeeeeeee...

Doug

I was really hoping to avoid Jailbreaking my iPhone. I've never done so, and I don't relish the idea of irrevocably harming the device, or otherwise making waves with AT&T's service.

I may have to bite that bullet though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Unfortunately, that logic cannot hold water since you're perfectly able to add in custom ringtones for calls. I cannot see how customizing the alert for one form of incoming communication would be secure while doing the same for another form of incoming communication would not be. <sigh>

I was really hoping to avoid Jailbreaking my iPhone. I've never done so, and I don't relish the idea of irrevocably harming the device, or otherwise making waves with AT&T's service.

I may have to bite that bullet though.

Yeah, I know. I alluded to the point that I was reaching for an answer.. But baggs does have a good point. One which I didn't remember.

As far as JB'g goes, you'll not harm your phone, nor will you stir anything in the pot with ATT. You have the legal right to do it now. JB'g isn't going to do anything nasty.. but there is a chance that SSH'ng and doing something as root might, if you're not careful about what you're allowing access. Just do your homework and know what you're installing or transferring over and you'll be just fine.

Also, you can always reverse the process and go back to stock firmware.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.