Toshiba external Hard-drive not recognized in clamshell (ext. monitor)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post. I have been searching this forum and the internet for a while and even talked to the IT guys at my school and can't find any answers. So any help will be greatly appreciated

The Problem:
I have recently bought a henge dock (which is great) for my ~2008 white plastic macbook. I hooked everything up and have it working great with the monitor and everything. The only issue I have run into is, when my macbook is in clamshell on the dock it does no recognize that I have plugged in my external hard-drive. All other jump drives and even another (WD) external hard drive is recognized.
I did not know if there is a setting somewhere that I can make it to where this will be recognized. It is still working fine when the macbook is being used like normal (not in clamshell or hooked to monitor).

Any advise and help will be great

Thanks in advanced

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is the Toshiba drive new? If it is, return it and purchase a different brand of drive. I have had nothing but troubles with Toshiba drives and just recently went through two (for my Toshiba notebook computer) of their notebook drives within a month. I finally settled on a WD instead and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

To answer your question... the Toshiba drive should be recognized whether the machine is in clamshell mode or not. Shouldn't matter. I use my MacBook at home in clamshell mode and routinely attach and remove drives in my work. No problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.