iBook G4 933mhz recommendations on upgrades

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you can help, i think the hard drive has gone on my iBook G4 933mhz.

Can you help me on what type of hard drive i need for a replacement also i want to upgrade the memory from 512 to 1gb (the most it can take i think) again where is the best place to get the memory, there some on ebay, but it's not the best place.

Thanks in advance

OP
D
Reaction score
I have managed to get the hard drive out :) what a faf :) And it's dodgy, i manager to get it going by banging it and got the disc image :) - New samsung 160gb on it's way.

Now the memory it's the 933mhz and i have read 2 conflicting stories, one that says 640mb is the max it can take and other says you can fit a 1gb stick in. Does anyone know which is correct?

Many thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have managed to get the hard drive out :) what a faf :) And it's dodgy, i manager to get it going by banging it and got the disc image :) - New samsung 160gb on it's way.

Now the memory it's the 933mhz and i have read 2 conflicting stories, one that says 640mb is the max it can take and other says you can fit a 1gb stick in. Does anyone know which is correct?

Many thanks

Yes your iBook G4 933mhz can be upgraded to 1152 gigabyte (128meg logic board ram + a 1 gig (1024gig) stick of ram).

Good places for ram:

OWC
Crucial.com

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
i recently purchased one of these machines off craigslist.i am running a 1gb ram card,Its performance noticeably increased from the 258mb card included w/ the machine.I believe i purchased it from crucial.com,it cost 49.99.Its kinda pricey comparatively because it is outdated...

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Guys! There are a few sticks on ebay for around £35!

I believe any '1GB PC2100 CL2.5 200Pin SODIMM DDR 266' will do?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Guys! There are a few sticks on ebay for around £35!

I believe any '1GB PC2100 CL2.5 200Pin SODIMM DDR 266' will do?

Mac sure that the ram is compatible with a Macintosh computer...not all ram is created equal!;) I already gave you two great links for ram.:)

And don't say because you're in the UK that you can't use them...cause folks from all over the world order from them.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Cheers, yes i know not ram is not equal :) OWC seems the cheapest! Not in a rush as i need the hard drive to turn up and get that whole thing back together LOL.

Are there any guides on putting the disc image i have on to the internal hard drive?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are there any guides on putting the disc image i have on to the internal hard drive?

What do you mean by a "disk image"...are you sure you're using this terminology correctly? Because the term "disk image" can mean a number of different things.

What sort of items are you trying to copy from the iBooks hard drive? If you're talking about programs/applications...you probably cannot copy them to a different hard drive...you would have to install them from their original source (DVD, CD, internet download). If you're talking about items such as:

- word processing or spreadsheets
- photos
- possibly music files
- videos
- etc.

...these items you should be able to copy without too much trouble.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi, on the old hard drive i removed i made an image of the whole drive via disc utility. on my macbook pro. I thought i could install the Os on the new hard drive in the ibook once installed and install the disc image on to the new drive? Am i not correct? I have seen this done with a time machine backup and all the programs transferred across no problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, on the old hard drive i removed i made an image of the whole drive via disc utility. on my macbook pro. I thought i could install the Os on the new hard drive in the ibook once installed and install the disc image on to the new drive? Am i not correct? I have seen this done with a time machine backup and all the programs transferred across no problem.

I don't think that a disk image made with "Disk Utility" is the same thing as a "Time Machine" backup. If it was the same...then there really wouldn't be any need for Time Machine.

I'm sort of confused where this "iBook hard drive image" is located. If it's located on your Macbook Pro...then why are we even concerned with the iBook hard drive in the first place?

In any case...you could install a new hard drive in your iBook, install the OS, and copy the disk image you made onto the iBooks new hard drive...but there is no guarantee that all of the applications will work (they may need to be reinstalled from the original disks due to copy protection or serial number issues).

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, i know it's confusing :)

The macbook pro is my work computer (Graphic Designer), so it's with me more or less where ever i go. The iBook is the home laptop! (soon to be given to my daughter) I only have office on it and have the discs for it, so biggie if the disc image does not work, then no hardship, just thought it would be less painless :)

We have another older macbookpro (I know Mac mad family), but it has the dreaded logic board failure! Got an appointment next week with the apple store and it should be covered under the recall from nvidia!

Anyways, at least i have the files safe from the old ibook drive! Hard drive should arrive tomorrow, the sooner the better, as the dismantle is fresh in my mind :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, i know it's confusing :)

The macbook pro is my work computer (Graphic Designer), so it's with me more or less where ever i go. The iBook is the home laptop! (soon to be given to my daughter) I only have office on it and have the discs for it, so biggie if the disc image does not work, then no hardship, just thought it would be less painless :)

Sounds great that the only important application on the iBook HD is "MS Office". With the original disks...that's easy to reinstall!:)

Anyways, at least i have the files safe from the old ibook drive! Hard drive should arrive tomorrow, the sooner the better, as the dismantle is fresh in my mind :)

Having those files safe is the most important thing...you never know when that old iBook HD will completely fail...and then you're lost if you have some important irreplaceable files on it!:(

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi guyz, just wanted to double check something.

The new hard drive has arrived, but before i put the ibook back together (Which is a long process), should i do anything to the hard drive first, such as format it using a ide yo usb lead connected to my other mac?

Or will the tiger install discs load from the DVD drive and format and install to the new hard drive?

I have never done this on a mac before, I know Windows will work direct form the install CD.

Thanks in advance

Deef

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new hard drive has arrived, but before i put the ibook back together (Which is a long process), should i do anything to the hard drive first, such as format it using a ide yo usb lead connected to my other mac?

Or will the tiger install discs load from the DVD drive and format and install to the new hard drive?

Yes...taking apart & reassembling one of those iBooks is a BIG project. You could format that new hard drive either way as you described...either:

- install the new drive in an external case, and format it while plugged into a 2nd Macintosh.
- install the new hard drive into the iBook...put the iBook back together...then boot from your Tiger OS install DVD and do it that way.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Nick!

I'll do it from the install discs i think. - Will the ibook default to the DVD drive automatically or is there a key command?

Not like on a pc when you can get to the boot screen and choose the device?

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick!

I'll do it from the install discs i think. - Will the ibook default to the DVD drive automatically or is there a key command?

Not like on a pc when you can get to the boot screen and choose the device?

Cheers

Usually if there is no OS on the hard drive...then the computer will go to the optical drive looking for a disk to boot from. If for some reason this doesn't happen...just press the "c" key upon startup...and this tells the iBook to boot from the optical drive.

The hard drive & OS install should be a pretty straight forward process.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you very much!

Well she's all been put back together :) But i left the discs in work Lol.

I have booted it up and i get the apple sign then lots of debugger text on the screen - so at least i put it back together ok.

Should hopefully have it all done tomorrow!

Also, should i upgrade from Tiger to leopard, can it handle it (I have upgraded the memory to 1gb btw.)

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have booted it up and i get the apple sign then lots of debugger text on the screen - so at least i put it back together ok.

Well....you're really not supposed to get that. You should just get a folder icon with a flashing "?" on it. Unless it's because you haven't formatted the hard drive yet.

Also, should i upgrade from Tiger to leopard, can it handle it (I have upgraded the memory to 1gb btw.)

Yeah...it would probably be ok to install Leopard on it. Do you have a Leopard 10.5 install disc?

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi, yes i get the folder with a question mark on it then i get the text after that?

I don't have the install disc for leopard, but they are cheap on ebay! Just wondered if it would be worth it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.