Setting up AppleTV and Home Server

Reaction score
Currently, I have a Windows Home Server box that I use to store important files (with duplication backup) and I also use FireFly Media Server so that I can stream audio from the server to my and my wife's MBP's.

However, I am getting an AppleTV for Christmas and I was wondering if FireFly supports streaming video to the AppleTV? What other limitations might I run into by not having iTunes running on my server?

Windows Home Server does not support iTunes without some messing around with the executable and while I've tried that approach I've been less than satisfied with the results. Along with that, I am running out of storage space and before I commit more money to my current server I want to consider my options such as switching to a Mac Mini w/ OSX Server.

I'd appreciate any insight into using FireFly as a replacement for iTunes on my server. Also, if I want to use Airplay on my iPhone and/or iPad am I better off just making the server switch now rather than continuing to mess with WHS?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MPB
Firefly won't stream to the ATV.

I was in a similar situation to you regarding my Linux media server when I first got my ATV. There really is no reliable or consistent way to run iTunes on Linux.

I opted to pick up an used 2007 Mac Mini, swapped out the airport card for a pci eSATA card and attached it to an esata drive array. All my media now can be imported into iTunes, streamed to the ATV and accessed easily from my Macbook Pro via home sharing.

I don't know what your storage requirement look like, but with external drives(or an array), you could reuse one or more of the existing drives in your Windows server, then add as needed.

OP
D
Reaction score
Firefly won't stream to the ATV.

I was in a similar situation to you regarding my Linux media server when I first got my ATV. There really is no reliable or consistent way to run iTunes on Linux.

I opted to pick up an used 2007 Mac Mini, swapped out the airport card for a pci eSATA card and attached it to an esata drive array. All my media now can be imported into iTunes, streamed to the ATV and accessed easily from my Macbook Pro via home sharing.

I don't know what your storage requirement look like, but with external drives(or an array), you could reuse one or more of the existing drives in your Windows server, then add as needed.

I sucked it up and bought a Mac Mini Server from Apple. I am going to buy an OWC external enclosure for the 2 2TB drives I got from Newegg on pre-BF sales ($69/each). Then I'll eventually get another enclosure for my 2 1TB drives.

I'd love to know more about replacing the airport card with an eSATA card...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MPB
Unfortunately the Airport to eSATA mod won't work on your Mini Server. Starting with the 2009 model, the airport card is no longer removable.

How does OS X server compare to the desktop version of Snow Leopard? Are there any notable differences or improvements when used as a media server?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.