How much ram is too much ram??

Reaction score
Hey all, I am a professional ad photographer and I do a lot of imaging and I am thinking of getting the imac with 16gb of 1333 ram. Is that overkill?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not overkill but I can not see ever using that much memory even for large images. If you do decide on adding that much memory, be sure to buy it from a reliable third party reseller like OWC or Crucial and not directly from Apple. You might want to think about starting out with 8 GB first to see if that is adequate for your needs.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
No. Better to have more than not enough.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi

I do a lot of complex 3D medical imaging manipulation and I have the maximum of 16GB RAM on my newest iMac.

I do not have the technical knowledge to enter the debate on the optimum RAM versus processor speed and all the rest.

But I like to learn and I wonder why chscag advises against Apple's pre-installed RAM in favour of a third party which presumably necessitates that the owner buys the RAM separately and then has to install it.

Are the advantages of doing this so overwhelming that learning how to go about installing the RAM overrides the convenience of a package from Apple?

My computer immaturity means that I am terrified of tinkering with my iMac which would seem to put me a disadvantage.

No offence intended. Genuinely curious.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
But I like to learn and I wonder why chscag advises against Apple's pre-installed RAM in favour of a third party which presumably necessitates that the owner buys the RAM separately and then has to install it.

Are the advantages of doing this so overwhelming that learning how to go about installing the RAM overrides the convenience of a package from Apple?

Money, mostly, probably.. Apple charges probably double the cost of doing it yourself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, as s2odin states it's all about the money. Installing memory in your new iMac is very easy and there certainly is no point in paying Apple a premium price for something you can do just as well.

Apple has designed the new iMac and even the new Mac Mini so that the owner could very easily add memory to his\her machine. That's why I recommend doing it yourself rather than spending the extra money.

As far as the amount is concerned, your 16 GB is fine. The new iMac has four memory slots which make it very convenient to add memory in pairs; unlike the MacBook and older iMacs which only have two slots.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
HOLY COW!!!!

Apple - $1,000 to upgrade from 4GB to 16GB in the new iMacs

OWC - $260

Crucial - $280

I need to set up a workshop right outside the Apple stores and start selling them for $500. 10 a day and I could retire in another year or two.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Point taken!

I wave the white flag in defeat.

Thanks to all of you.

Ian

Reaction score
I just got the 27 i7 and stayed with apple default 4 gigs of ram. I plan on purchasing 8 gig from crucial or owc for around 160. So 160 will put me at 12 gigs of ram and I can always upgrade the original 4 down the road when need to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Too much? More than your Mac can handle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
As already mentioned, too much RAM is better than not enough but everyone can easily check to see if they need more RAM by starting up Activity Monitor in their Utilities folder in the Applications folder.

Check it at the end of the day on a busy computer day and see if you have a lot of page outs and swap usage. If you have zero for both then it's most likely you have enough RAM for most of your tasks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.