May be to early to ask, but I'm going to anyway Re: 4.2 upgrade & battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz/ 4GB ram/ 250GB HDD, 2nd Gen 16GB ipod touch, 64GB + 3G iPad
When I did the 4.0 upgrade on my ipod touch it totally ruined the battery life on the touch. It went from getting several days out of a charge to less than a day. I am hesitant to update my ipad because of this. Has anyone noticed a change, or am I worried for nothing?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Are you referring to the 2nd Gen iPod Touch in your specs? The newer iOS and subsequent updates are mainly designed for the most recent hardware.

I'd really doubt that moving from 4.0 to 4.2 is going to hurt your battery life any more, but it's really to be expected. Are you fully closing apps after moving on to a different one? That helps a little with your battery life.

OP
wsd73
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the ipod is the 2gen.

As for the closing of apps, are you referring to the iPod? I haven't updated the iPad...I'm hesitant because of my experience with the iPod. A slight difference would be one thing, but the change in the ipod was significant.

Thanks!
Wendy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes, the ipod is the 2gen.

As for the closing of apps, are you referring to the iPod? I haven't updated the iPad...I'm hesitant because of my experience with the iPod. A slight difference would be one thing, but the change in the ipod was significant.

Thanks!
Wendy

I was just referring to whatever iOS device you're using 4.0 or 4.2 on. Just hitting the home button isn't enough to stop the app from drawing power from your battery. It will continue to run in the background. Double tap the home button to see all open/currently-running apps. Press and hold on one until they start to "wiggle". You'll see a minus sign and just click on that to completely close the app. That's one way to eek a little extra out of your battery.
I've updated to 4.2 on my iPhone 4 and my iPad. Both run great! The iPad's battery life is still stellar. :D

OP
wsd73
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to know! Thanks for the info :D

Wendy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.