read/write ext HD to new iMac 10.6

Reaction score
Hi

I recently upgraded my iMac from a 2 1/2 year old iMac 24" to my new system which is the latest model iMac 27", specs are in my signature. With the old iMac I was running at least 4 ext HD and all was well. Now with the new system 2 of the extHD are read only. Right now I need to focus on the HD where there is data I'd like to keep. I guess I could reformat the drive but that would also erase the data and this is what I'm trying to avoid.

read-onlyextHD.png

How would you recommend I proceed and how can I avoid this problem in the future?

I really look forward to some help in resolving this issue and appreciate anything you can offer.

Cheers!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As you can see, the Free Agent drive is formatted to NTFS which means by default your new iMac running Snow Leopard can only read from it. What you can do is turn on the built in NTFS read - write capability of Snow Leopard by downloading and installing this free utility: ntfsMounter

OP
R
Reaction score
As you can see, the Free Agent drive is formatted to NTFS which means by default your new iMac running Snow Leopard can only read from it. What you can do is turn on the built in NTFS read - write capability of Snow Leopard by downloading and installing this free utility: ntfsMounter

Thank you. I downloaded the app, printed out the readme.txt, followed through as instructed and now need a little help in completing the operation. As it stands right now the 'NTFS Mounter' is on my desktop and in the applications folder. When I open, it simply takes me back to the original download window where one moves an app to the applications folder.

It states in the readme.txt file that an icon will be added to your 'status menu' Clicking this icon will search for connected NTFS volumes.

Where is this 'status menu' for the life of me I can't find anything to move this operation forward.

Thx

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you. I downloaded the app, printed out the readme.txt, followed through as instructed and now need a little help in completing the operation. As it stands right now the 'NTFS Mounter' is on my desktop and in the applications folder. When I open, it simply takes me back to the original download window where one moves an app to the applications folder.

It states in the readme.txt file that an icon will be added to your 'status menu' Clicking this icon will search for connected NTFS volumes.

Where is this 'status menu' for the life of me I can't find anything to move this operation forward.

Thx

Sorry..found the 'Black Cat' worked beautifully. Thanks for everything.

Cheers!
Bob

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry..found the 'Black Cat' worked beautifully. Thanks for everything. Cheers! Bob

The "Black Cat" is kind of hard to find unless you know where to look. Glad it's working for you. Have fun and visit often.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well i'm sad to say it looked like it was working but on 2 tries, the transfer stops at about half way (45GB of 102GB) and just sits there. I think it's time to abandon this and move on to reformatting this drive to a suitable format which will work with my OS. I'll lose the existing data but it won't be the end of the world, just need to move on.

Thx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.