Opening binary files with .dmg suffix

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 fw800 DUAL 1.25 mdd 2gb ram. 4 X 120GB HDD. OSX 10.4.11.
Hello,
I am new to Mac's and whilst I love almost everything about it, I have been having trouble opening binary files downloaded to my desktop and showing .dmg suffixes. When I try, I am told "cannot be opened" and am then asked to choose an application to open it, but from that point I am a bit stuffed as I dont know what to do or which APPS I shouild be trying. Is it possible to set the system to recognise the file types and open them automatically using whichever app is appropriate? I have had a similar problem with trying to open files which result in a message saying can't open with quicktime and then being referred to a site to download a different or supplementarty bit oF software which is all very well, BUT WHICH ONE! AAAARGHHHHHH! DRIVING ME NUTS!! HELP PLEASE!!! :[:Confused::Confused::Confused::Confused:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To associate DMGs with the proper program, follow these steps:

1. Right click any DMG > Get Info.
2. Under "Open With", select "DiskImageMounter".
3. Click "Change All..."

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 fw800 DUAL 1.25 mdd 2gb ram. 4 X 120GB HDD. OSX 10.4.11.
Hi Vansmith,

Thanks for the advice - I'll try that next time the problem comes up.

Cheers,

Paul.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.