Attempted installing windows now hard drive is "broken"

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a mid 2009 MacBook Pro (2.53/4/250) that I attempted to install windows on through bootcamp. Two problems existed then, only one partition was visible (and of a different size) than the one I had created and after clicking this it only made it through half the installer. When I then restarted neither mac nor windows was accesible.

Using the install-DVD for mac I attempted to reinstall Mac but it showed no drives for me to install it on. Using the disk utility available during install i noticed the whole hard drive was now a single partition again but I could neither repair or erase it. It was also formatted in NTFS which I had selected when installing XP.

Any help available out there?

cheers,
axel

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears you formatted your entire hard drive as NTFS during the install of Windows. That effectively wiped out your OS X partition and everything on it. You need to reinstall OS X from your original DVD set.

First thing to do is reset the PRAM/NVRAM for the machine. Follow the instructions at the Apple KB link.

After that, boot from your install DVD and reinstall OS X. Note that you will have to first erase the drive and format it as Mac HFS Extended Journaled before you can reinstall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.