Virus help?

Reaction score
Hey guys Im a complete mac newbie and have found a random file in an untitled folder on my desktop (my flatmate has been using my computer). I have tried deleting the folder but there is a file which cannot be deleted! The file is labeled "RECYCLER" inside that folder is another folder named "S-5-3-42-2819952290-8240758988-879315005-3665" I have checked this out online and people are saying this is a virus!!! Can anyone help me out in getting rid of this problem and even preventing viruses in future?

Any help will be muuch appreciated!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Having a virus is not the same thing as having a computer problem that you don't understand. As there are no true viruses for OS X, you have nothing to worry about in that regard.

"Recycler" is a folder on Windows that is the actual folder that deleted items go in. And the file name you're seeing within it, is likely a discarded file. How that folder ended up on your Mac is anyone's guess - it was likely copied there by accident.

Open the folder, then single click on the numeric file within it. Press Command + I to 'Get Info'. Then, check to make sure the 'Locked' tick box isn't checked. Also, check the permissions at the bottom of the window to ensure that your account has full read/write access.

Once that's done, you should be able to toss the whole folder into the trash and empty it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
K
Reaction score
Having a virus is not the same thing as having a computer problem that you don't understand. As there are no true viruses for OS X, you have nothing to worry about in that regard.

"Recycler" is a folder on Windows that is the actual folder that deleted items go in. And the file name you're seeing within it, is likely a discarded file. How that folder ended up on your Mac is anyone's guess - it was likely copied there by accident.

Open the folder, then single click on the numeric file within it. Press Command + I to 'Get Info'. Then, check to make sure the 'Locked' tick box isn't checked. Also, check the permissions at the bottom of the window to ensure that your account has full read/write access.

Once that's done, you should be able to toss the whole folder into the trash and empty it.

Wow haha I feel very silly now but hey you gotta learn somehow! Just did as you have said and this little "computer problem" is no longer. thanks heaps :D

Cheers Kenny

C

chas_m

PS. Your wonderful Mac has a facility called "Guest Account" which I **HIGHLY** recommend over letting ANYONE use your account EVER for ANY reason. Save yourself a lot of headache and insist that anyone who is not you use the Guest Account when using your computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.