So do I have to go buy a new HP printer for Airprint?

Reaction score
So Airprint is ready to work with one of these new HP printers, but does that mean that's our only option, to get a new AirPrint-enabled printer? Or can that feature be added to my older HP wireless printer? Are there other options coming?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have the same question. My Brother 1140 Wireless Laser is invisible to Airprint . . . any ideas for a fix?

Reaction score
air pint

After all the hype about AirPrint and the ability to print from the ipad, I am very disappointed! I have a new Epson wireless all-in-one printer and it's invisible on the IPAD. I am hoping Epson will update it's Iprint app for the IPAD soon. Wireless printing from the IPad shouldn't be so difficult. It's one of those things that make you go, hmmmmm.

OP
J
Reaction score
I really have no idea what I'm talking about here but I'm guessing that it's the massive size of all those print drivers that usually get loaded on your laptop or pc that are now having to reside with the printer? Maybe that's the issue? Like I said, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm guessing there must be a good reason this is taking so long and so much hoop jumping to work.

I tried one of the print apps for the iPad and it was terrible. It found my wireless HP printer just fine, but the print that came out was all messed up when it came to quality and formatting. Just not acceptable.

OP
J
Reaction score
This may solve your problem re printing. I have tried the free trial and it works like a dream on my 3gs running 4.2. I will be buying the full version. I think it's a bargin:D.
Printopia - AirPrint to Shared Printers - Print from iPad - Print from iPhone - Ecamm Network

I've read great reviews about Printopia. But does my MacBook Pro need to be on for it to work? I'm guessing that it does. If so, that's the only hiccup for me as I don't have a desktop and don't leave the laptop on all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've read great reviews about Printopia. But does my MacBook Pro need to be on for it to work? I'm guessing that it does. If so, that's the only hiccup for me as I don't have a desktop and don't leave the laptop on all the time.

That's probably going to be the case for any of the printers other then the few HPs that are compatible or new versions of other manufacturers printers once they release versions that are truly AirPrint compatible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.