Installer fails during OS reinstall - help needed.

Reaction score
Hello all, well my laptop died apperantly and it makes it to the white screen with the apple and then shuts off, I put in the installer discs that came with my laptop and hold down C to boot from CD, the first disc installed completley fine with no problems, it then restarts and then asks for disc number 2, when it does that it acts like its going to install and 10-15 seconds later I get, "The application installer quit unexpectedly" and it asks if I want to; Close/Report/Reopen and I hesitated to click anything and another 10-15 seconds it goes back to acting like it will install, then repeats between "Preparing for Installation" and the "Quit Unexpectedly" error, I tried pressing all 3 and nothing happens. As soon as I eject the CD it actually starts to install and the bar fills up blue, but then it tells me there was an error. I have no idea what to do. There are no files that I need, so if anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated. I also have a Vista disc that I am willing to pop in and boot from CD, but I don't think it will work. Please help!!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If the installer is crapping out, you've most likely got a hardware issue. I'd guess bad RAM (did you upgrade this at some point?) or a bad HDD (more likely).

Start by running the Apple Hardware Test:

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

If everything passes, then attempt a reinstall, but this time before you kick it off, make sure you open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and actually do a full format on the system drive (zero out the disk).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Edited your thread with a bit more gracious of a title.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, I just ran the test, all it said for the Test Results was "No Trouble found."
Any other suggestions?

I just ran the basic test...should I do an extended testing?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I just ran the test, all it said for the Test Results was "No Trouble found."
Any other suggestions?

I just ran the basic test...should I do an extended testing?

Run the extended. The basic is pretty much worthless.

OP
N
Reaction score
war Thibew

Ok, the extended testing just completed, same results "No trouble found." what to do now :Angry:

OP
N
Reaction score
So with DISC #1 in, I went to Disc Utility, and before I do anything is this correct.

Select HD (there is only 1 HDD but which do I chose) 74.5GB ST....AS Media OR Macintosh HD which is right below that option

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.