Audio problem

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an odd problem, and I'll do my best to really explain what's going on. Basically, after updating to 10.6.5, I've noticed a weird audio problem. I did not back up before then, thus the reason why I'm here asking for help.

When I listen to music, anything that would normally be panned hard right is no longer panned hard right, but it's also partially in the centre as well. I noticed this because of a specific song in which there is a guitar part in the left and a guitar part in the right and they both harmonize. Normally, you could hear both equally because they were both in the same position. However, now, the right seems to be louder simply because it also takes up part of the centre listening field as well. You can really notice it when using a 5.1 system because what would normally only come out of the right speakers also comes out of the centre, but the left stays in the left.

I'm on a 13" '09 MBP. This problem happens if I'm using the internal speakers, headphones, or an external soundcard (Focusrite Saffire). I'll be very clear in saying the right is not actually louder than the left and using the sliders in Audio MIDI setup does not correct the problem.

I'm assuming this is some kind of software issue. It's getting irritating. Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.