3G and iOS4.2.1

Reaction score
just updated my iPhone 3g to 4.2.1 and it appears that it has not improved in performance at all. this is really hacking me off.
I thought iOS 4.2.1 was supposed to fix the problems, but it looks like they disappointed me again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
3G? Might want try getting a 3Gs or a 4. Sorry, the 3G just isn't cutting it anymore. Don't expect it to get any better as time goes on.

You might want to try a clean instal of 4.2 vice an upgrade though...

OP
J
Reaction score
if i would have know that iOS4 would have made my 3g iphone useless when i went from 3.x to 4.x, I would have never done it. heck, apple should have never had the 3g in the iOS4 upgrade path if its that darn bad to begin with

i still have 6 months left before i can upgrade. Im seriously considering going to an android device or Windows 7 phone. Im just tired of the games apple plays.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Going to iOS 4.1 on my iPhone 3G made it usable again..nowhere near as fast as when it was on 3.x, but I like the Folders and unified mail feature enough to stick with 4.x..I'm eligible for an upgrade and will probably soon after playing with the iPhone 4, that thing is just so snappy!

Regards

Reaction score
iPhone 3G is like a second generation iPod touch. Now, granted, my iPod touch does have its hiccups on occasion in iOS 4, but as far I'm concerned, the unified mail, the folders, and Game Center are all I really care for on it- everything else would bog it down. Now to wait for Christmas...

Reaction score
3G? Might want try getting a 3Gs or a 4. Sorry, the 3G just isn't cutting it anymore. Don't expect it to get any better as time goes on.

You might want to try a clean instal of 4.2 vice an upgrade though...

I'd try a clean install also. It helped me improve the performance

OP
J
Reaction score
I'd try a clean install also. It helped me improve the performance

i really dont want to do that. I lost a bunch of data when i did a clean install of iOS 4.0. it could not bring in the data from the back up for some reason. I just dont trust it to do it again.

its not that my phone got any worse, i just thought it would have improved performance like apple advertised it would do. Im already used to it running slow, so i guess i will wait it out until i can upgrade.

btw, my wife does have a 3GS and it is very snappy and works great.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
iPhone 3G is like a second generation iPod touch. Now, granted, my iPod touch does have its hiccups on occasion in iOS 4, but as far I'm concerned, the unified mail, the folders, and Game Center are all I really care for on it- everything else would bog it down. Now to wait for Christmas...

Is Game Center available on the iPhone 3G, if so, how do I get to it?

Regards

Reaction score
Is Game Center available on the iPhone 3G, if so, how do I get to it?

Regards

Apparently Apple didn't make it available for iPhone 3G nor original iPhone users. I think there's a hack though to get GC on your 3G. It's very strange that Apple made it for iPod touch 2G, but not iPhone 3G. Maybe because iPod touch is like a mobile gaming platform of sorts?

Reaction score
Was anything ever said about why multitasking is missing in the 3G? Also, I can't have that constant background display on my spring board like I did with 4.1

I think they removed those features from the 3G just to make it faster.

So what exactly is the point of upgrading the 3G to 4.2 if the only big difference really is a few different icons and a Find option in Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
While I completely agree with that fact that Apple should have NEVER allowed this upgrade for 3G users like myself (and yes it does thoroughly TICKLE ME PINK & this alone has made me consider Android) I do have to admit that FINALLY the new 4.2 software is working well on my phone and my phone is MUCH improved and much faster now than it was before. Less crashes etc. I've seen mixed results around the net with the majority experiencing fast results...though I wonder why the CATS MEOW results are so mixed.

On the Apple issue, it's one we've all had so many times and I don't wish to go all out on it again, but to say that the 3G doesn't hack it anymore and you need to move on is not the answer. We're all well aware that it's not top tech anymore and can't do what the 4 or even 3GS can...but Apple knew what it would do to the phone with the new software update months back and to not allow people to downgrade is such a slap in the face it's not even funny. I'm not happy with the idea that Apple is forcing my hand to upgrade, has ruined my phone, won't accept the blame for it, and is not offering nor considering a full fix. I would even be happy with a discount on new 4's for all 3G users who's phones were ruined by them.

Ok there done with that ;)

Reaction score
While I completely agree with that fact that Apple should have NEVER allowed this upgrade for 3G users like myself (and yes it does thoroughly **** me off & this alone has made me consider Android) I do have to admit that FINALLY the new 4.2 software is working well on my phone and my phone is MUCH improved and much faster now than it was before. Less crashes etc. I've seen mixed results around the net with the majority experiencing fast results...though I wonder why the **** the results are so mixed.

On the Apple issue, it's one we've all had so many times and I don't wish to go all out on it again, but to say that the 3G doesn't hack it anymore and you need to move on is not the answer. We're all well aware that it's not top tech anymore and can't do what the 4 or even 3GS can...but Apple knew what it would do to the phone with the new software update months back and to not allow people to downgrade is such a slap in the face it's not even funny. I'm not happy with the idea that Apple is forcing my hand to upgrade, has ruined my phone, won't accept the blame for it, and is not offering nor considering a full fix. I would even be happy with a discount on new 4's for all 3G users who's phones were ruined by them.

Ok there done with that ;)

I don't understand why you didn't just downgrade to 3.1.3 if you didn't like 4.1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I work with a couple of people with the 3G iPhone and agree that the speed on those phones and what Apple are or are not doing about it, is a little raw.

I tend to make every tech purchase knowing that:
A: It will be out of date as soon as I carry it away from the store or accept delivery.
B: It will no doubt be cheaper tomorrow...
C: I am probably going to need to upgrade this in 12-18 months (if its a computer or phone). With the iPhone, I seem to go for every other release.

Ultimately I think one of the reasons Windows has problems is because they (MS) had to design it with so many different types of chip etc in mind. By narrowing the scope, Apple have less to check and should, in my mind at least, be able to work on the quality a little more (granted, the recent Daylight Savings Time issue suggests that quality and testing still slips :Angry-Tongue: ). I think companies in Apple's position have to have this sliding door/window where they need to offer new products to keep the money coming in, they also need to keep existing customers happy but they can't let the OS become too inflated (yes, I know it is a pretty chunky bit of programming as it is) by making everything work with all of the chips and configurations they've dropped on the market place so far. They have to have a cut off point, they need to pick this sliding door/window and focus on that. If they don't, if they try to do a one for all, they will be creating the next Windows OS. It will be designed to do too many things for too many hardware options and will become buggy (more so) and less reliable, the user experience will be damaged. Ok, I know this bit probably grates a little as your user experience has already been damaged.

Of course, nothing is more irritating than asking a question or venting a little dis-satisfaction and having someone say they don't agree and offer nothing of use to you... So...

... Im seriously considering going to an android device or Windows 7 phone. Im just tired of the games apple plays.

I honestly think that whilst the Android OS is amazing and people like HTC have done an exceptional job of making good looking phones and shoe-horning a great OS inside their own wrappers to give them a little more polish, it (Android) does have draw-backs. Unless you get the flag-ship phone from a manufacturer then you will not get the major updates, which is pretty much the same as Apple really.

Android is already very fragmented, with manufacturers racing with each other to get a new Android phone out. Most appear to prefer to launch a new phone with the latest OS on it than re-wrap the latest Android release and send it out to their existing users. I am basing this on what I've seen with friends and family, I've not owned an Android device first hand and will gladly bow to any first hand knowledge...

In short, Android may not help you with the dislike of Apples update process, I think you may experience continued, albeit different, frustrations in the Android world as well.

The Windows 7 Phones - now that's a good looking OS! I don't know anyone that has one yet but I would sure like a play with one!

... to not allow people to downgrade is such a slap in the face it's not even funny.
Excuse the extract.

This may be of some interest to either of you:

How to downgrade your phone to iOS 3.x.

I've not tried it, but after seeing first hand just what my friends' 3g iPhones are like after the update to iOS 4 and watching how they struggle through something like Angry Birds which used to work fine, it might just be worth a look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I don't understand why you didn't just downgrade to 3.1.3 if you didn't like 4.1?

That's my fault. I didn't know how for a bit, then came across it not too long ago and just downloaded 4.2 and phone is even more usable now. I'll be upgrading soon so I'm just leaving it as is...BUT...

...I shouldn't have to go through and hack it all on my own, Apple should have offered it through an easy sync through iTunes or done something about the problem or at least addressed it and offered some sort of solution to users.

I work with a couple of people with the 3G iPhone and agree that the speed on those phones and what Apple are or are not doing about it, is a little raw.

I tend to make every tech purchase knowing that:
A: It will be out of date as soon as I carry it away from the store or accept delivery.
B: It will no doubt be cheaper tomorrow...
C: I am probably going to need to upgrade this in 12-18 months (if its a computer or phone). With the iPhone, I seem to go for every other release.

Ultimately I think one of the reasons Windows has problems is because they (MS) had to design it with so many different types of chip etc in mind. By narrowing the scope, Apple have less to check and should, in my mind at least, be able to work on the quality a little more (granted, the recent Daylight Savings Time issue suggests that quality and testing still slips :Angry-Tongue: ). I think companies in Apple's position have to have this sliding door/window where they need to offer new products to keep the money coming in, they also need to keep existing customers happy but they can't let the OS become too inflated (yes, I know it is a pretty chunky bit of programming as it is) by making everything work with all of the chips and configurations they've dropped on the market place so far. They have to have a cut off point, they need to pick this sliding door/window and focus on that. If they don't, if they try to do a one for all, they will be creating the next Windows OS. It will be designed to do too many things for too many hardware options and will become buggy (more so) and less reliable, the user experience will be damaged. Ok, I know this bit probably grates a little as your user experience has already been damaged.

Of course, nothing is more irritating than asking a question or venting a little dis-satisfaction and having someone say they don't agree and offer nothing of use to you... So...

I honestly think that whilst the Android OS is amazing and people like HTC have done an exceptional job of making good looking phones and shoe-horning a great OS inside their own wrappers to give them a little more polish, it (Android) does have draw-backs. Unless you get the flag-ship phone from a manufacturer then you will not get the major updates, which is pretty much the same as Apple really.

Android is already very fragmented, with manufacturers racing with each other to get a new Android phone out. Most appear to prefer to launch a new phone with the latest OS on it than re-wrap the latest Android release and send it out to their existing users. I am basing this on what I've seen with friends and family, I've not owned an Android device first hand and will gladly bow to any first hand knowledge...

In short, Android may not help you with the dislike of Apples update process, I think you may experience continued, albeit different, frustrations in the Android world as well.

The Windows 7 Phones - now that's a good looking OS! I don't know anyone that has one yet but I would sure like a play with one!

Excuse the extract.

This may be of some interest to either of you:

How to downgrade your phone to iOS 3.x.

I've not tried it, but after seeing first hand just what my friends' 3g iPhones are like after the update to iOS 4 and watching how they struggle through something like Angry Birds which used to work fine, it might just be worth a look.

You make some extremely good points here. I did spend plenty of play and use time on some of HTC's phones and while they are fantastic, there were too many things I didn't like about the OS and the actual phone itself. The iPhone just fits me better overall. I'm not talking service or updates here just the phone and the OS as it currently is.

Reaction score
I will gladly say after spending a day messing with a friend's WP7 phone…there is a bit missing..not a whole lot…but some.

1) If you're the type of user on either iOS or Android that uses Copy and Paste, you're out of luck until Microsoft fixes this.

2) No native code support (if you are a developer)

3) SQL is not supported (I don't know if it is or not on iOS or Android)

4) Lack of Bluetooth API (someone care to explain this? Does iOS have it, or Android?)

Other than that, yes it is a great looking OS, and I like the ability to change colors around…but in the same respect, I like how iOS looks, and the features Apple puts out on its own hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Was anything ever said about why multitasking is missing in the 3G? Also, I can't have that constant background display on my spring board like I did with 4.1

I think they removed those features from the 3G just to make it faster.

So what exactly is the point of upgrading the 3G to 4.2 if the only big difference really is a few different icons and a Find option in Safari?

trustme said:
Why hasn't anyone replied about multitasking missing from 3g?

Multi-Tasking was never advertised to work with the 3G, only the 3Gs and 4. You can JB the phone to get it if you like.

Frankly, there is no point in upgrading that I can see. My 3G slowed way down with iOS 4 and I knew it wasn't going to get better. That's why I went and bought a 4.

You don't have to like it, but the fact is the 3G is simply outdated. Period. Technology has moved on much as it will have for the iPhone 4 by the time my current contract is up. It's inevitable and Apple is on a pretty clear repetitive cycle. Every 24 months your current phone will be outdated, amazingly that matches up (more or less, especially if you put any forethought into when in that cycle you made your iPhone purchase) with AT&Ts contract cycle. You can accept it, explore your options, make an educated choice, or you can whine like a 12 year old girl. It is what it is.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Baggss, just a note, since the 4.2.1 update my 3G is the fastest it's been since 4.0. I would say it feels just as fast with everything I have tried as with IOS 3 on it. I tried some apps where even with 4.1 on it still lagged a bit and took longer to come up and a delay when trying to type text. I tried it a few times doing with a database app I use and update almost daily. I saw no jerking, App launched like it used to and I could type text instantly with no delay or Lag. I tried Safari, Mail and many others and it really feels like the old days.

I have seen different reports where some are seeing what I am seeing and others who say it's faster but not like IOS3. All I can say it's it 100% useable now which is good because I can not afford an iPhone 4 for some time to come!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
i still have 6 months left before i can upgrade. Im seriously considering going to an android device or Windows 7 phone. Im just tired of the games apple plays.

Go for it and let me know how you like it...seriously. please. just. do. it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
its not that my phone got any worse, i just thought it would have improved performance like apple advertised it would do.

Actually a lot of 3G owners are saying things got a little better with 4.2.1. So I think your expectations are just a little whacked honestly.

Keep in mind that iPhone 3G’s hardware isn’t as fast and it’s RAM is literally a quarter of iPhone 4′s so if you think you're ever going to see a major improvement, you're kidding yourself.

That would be like me saying, why didn't 10.5 give a huge performance boost to my ancient iBook G3?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.