Purchasing "used" OS software

Reaction score
Forgive my "new to MAC" questions going forward, but I am basically retarded when it comes to MAC (currently wearing helmet and drool cup)! I am looking to update the software on a PowerBook G4 I just purchased that is loaded with Panther. I see all of these used Leopard retail version OS discs for sale, but without a new license, will these work?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, they will work (as long as the disc is good). Just make sure you buy a retail (black) disc not one of the grey discs as those are system specific and will not work on your PB G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Forgive my "new to MAC" questions going forward, but I am basically retarded when it comes to MAC (currently wearing helmet and drool cup)! I am looking to update the software on a PowerBook G4 I just purchased that is loaded with Panther. I see all of these used Leopard retail version OS discs for sale, but without a new license, will these work?

It's not an acronym, it's a Mac. You got disc, you got license, no? It's not Windows either. There's no registration "key".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.