Time Machine via Airport Express

Reaction score
Hello Folks.
I have a new Macbook Pro with the Time Machine feature and wonder if it can be used Wi Fi with an external hard drive plugged into the Airport Express? I have an external hard drive (not Mac) and am hoping that will work without going to the Mac Time Capsule.

What do you think?

And also, I'm still using an older IMac with Tiger OS......if I upgrade it to Snow Leopard will that machine also backup to the same hard drive? (I'm assuming Time Machine will create a new directory for the second machine?)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That should work fine. Both machines should be able to backup to the drive though you will usually need to format the drive to HFS+. I have seen some reports of other formats being used over networks but haven't tried it. The backups will be stored in separate sparse bundle files.

If possible do the initial backup by an Ethernet connection. The initial backup can take quite some time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.