Considering Switching

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
My PC is 6 years old now and only has a 400Mhz processor and struggles at times, so I feel its time to upgrade. I love MACs and my first choice is to go with a MAC + 27inch screen. I use Photoshop and I would have to purchase a new MAC version which is a drawback. I do use some software which is not available in MAC version and I know that Windows software can be used in a partition.

I question if it is worth going with MAC if I were to use Windows software? and how the MAC works with Windows versions of software. I would welcome feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I have a couple of programs that I need to run in Windows and they run just fine. When you dual boot into Windows, there is no difference than if you were running them on a regular Windows PC (other than the fact that the Mac is 1000% sexier). You could also run your Windows version of Photoshop by dual booting if you didn't want to side grade to the Mac version, of if you wanted to wait to get it when you could better afford it.

Only you can decide if it is worth it to go to a Mac if you still need to run some Windows software. In my case, it was worth every penny I spent on my iMac. It was one of the best computer purchasing decisions I have ever made, and is by far the best computer I have ever owned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Adobe will allow you to perform a cross-grade, or cross-platform upgrade, of your Adobe product, assuming it meets the upgrade qualifications and provided you send them a signed Letter of Software Destruction. The Letter of Destruction states that you agree to delete all copies of the product you are exchanging and also that you will not "sell, transfer, give away, donate, or otherwise distribute the exchanged Adobe product or copies to anyone else."

You will still need to pay the upgrade cost, and you will need to conduct the purchase via telephone by calling Adobe Sales at 1-800-833-6687 (see Adobe.com for international numbers). The Letter of Software Destruction may be faxed, e-mailed, or snail-mailed to Adobe.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry for the late reply but I was blocked out after my first post. I sent several emails to the Administrator but he only just got back to me.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
FYI MAC stands for Media Access Control, or the Brand MAC cosmetics.

It's is Mac which is short for Macintosh. Please note the difference.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the Applications you need that are not available in for OSX? Most will probably run in a VM right in OSX so you won't have to reboot to access Windows and your apps.

There are 2 ways to run Windows on a Mac, in a Virtual Machine right in OSX (Using Windows in the VM) or Bootcamp where you reboot and run Windows natively.

C

chas_m

A lot of switchers THINK they need to keep running Windows, but quickly find out that (in most cases) there's software for the Mac that is not only able to do the job they thought they needed Windows for, but does it way better than they've ever imagined possible.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A lot of switchers THINK they need to keep running Windows, but quickly find out that (in most cases) there's software for the Mac that is not only able to do the job they thought they needed Windows for, but does it way better than they've ever imagined possible.

Agreed completely and especially now that AutoCad is available for OSX. That was one piece of Software many needed for their work.

Wanted to give the OP the other options just in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Imac, 3.06 ghz processor, 1 TB HD, 256 meg ATI Graphics card
Hi,

I have the iMac 27" and it was my first Mac. I have had it for about 9 months now and it has been great. I have Photoshop on it and it works great. The screen is excellent for photo editing. As for productivity software, pretty much all of the stuff you would use with Windows is available in Mac or there is an alternative that is very close. I used to use both Microsoft Office and Word Perfect suite on my PC and now I use iWorks on my iMac and really like it for both a spreadsheet and for word processing. I actually like using Safari as my web browser and have installed it on my Dell XPS400. My dell is older, but it had a duocore processor so it is still good to use with Autocad. Given the price for new licenses on that baby, I don't plan on buying it for the Mac, but it is actually available for the Mac platform now. I just ordered my son a Macbook for Christmas. That's how impressed I am with the Mac OS and Apple computers. They seem expensive, but when you compare them with a Dell or other PC with the same features, you end up paying just as much. My XPS400, with dual HD's a CD and DVD burner as well as a Duocore 2.86 GHZ processor was $1,400 four years ago. So a good PC is no cheaper then a Mac. It is just that Apple doesn't make any 'cheap' budget machines. If you are afraid of a learning curve, don't be. You will get used to the Mac operating system in no time. Also, Apple loads everything you order on your machine before shipping it. With the iMac, you just plug the power cord into the monitor assembly, insure batteries are in the keyboard and mouse, then turn on the mouse and computer and it fires right up. Boot time for my machine, from a complete shut down, is 40 seconds. At that time I can open any program or go online. No more waiting 2 - 3 minutes just for Windows to load, then waiting forever for all the start up programs to load. Believe me, you'll fall in love with that 27" screen and how smoothly the OS-X Snow leopard operating system works. I have locked up a program only four programs in 9 months. In each case I was able to just shut down that program and continue on. In the Windows environment, such reliability is unheard of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Hi,

I have the iMac 27" and it was my first Mac. I have had it for about 9 months now and it has been great. I have Photoshop on it and it works great. The screen is excellent for photo editing. As for productivity software, pretty much all of the stuff you would use with Windows is available in Mac or there is an alternative that is very close.

I used to use both Microsoft Office and Word Perfect suite on my PC and now I use iWorks on my iMac and really like it for both a spreadsheet and for word processing. I actually like using Safari as my web browser and have installed it on my Dell XPS400. My dell is older, but it had a duocore processor so it is still good to use with Autocad.

Given the price for new licenses on that baby, I don't plan on buying it for the Mac, but it is actually available for the Mac platform now. I just ordered my son a Macbook for Christmas. That's how impressed I am with the Mac OS and Apple computers. They seem expensive, but when you compare them with a Dell or other PC with the same features, you end up paying just as much.

My XPS400, with dual HD's a CD and DVD burner as well as a Duocore 2.86 GHZ processor was $1,400 four years ago. So a good PC is no cheaper then a Mac. It is just that Apple doesn't make any 'cheap' budget machines. If you are afraid of a learning curve, don't be. You will get used to the Mac operating system in no time.

Also, Apple loads everything you order on your machine before shipping it. With the iMac, you just plug the power cord into the monitor assembly, insure batteries are in the keyboard and mouse, then turn on the mouse and computer and it fires right up. Boot time for my machine, from a complete shut down, is 40 seconds.

At that time I can open any program or go online. No more waiting 2 - 3 minutes just for Windows to load, then waiting forever for all the start up programs to load. Believe me, you'll fall in love with that 27" screen and how smoothly the OS-X Snow leopard operating system works. I have locked up a program only four programs in 9 months. In each case I was able to just shut down that program and continue on. In the Windows environment, such reliability is unheard of.

Holy cow dude, is using paragraphs against your religion or political views? Glad to help, you're welcome.

C

chas_m

I applaud "archangele" for what he had to say, and Doug b for saving my eyes and allowing me to actually read it. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

I have the iMac 27" and it was my first Mac. I have had it for about 9 months now and it has been great. I have Photoshop on it and it works great. The screen is excellent for photo editing. As for productivity software, pretty much all of the stuff you would use with Windows is available in Mac or there is an alternative that is very close. I used to use both Microsoft Office and Word Perfect suite on my PC and now I use iWorks on my iMac and really like it for both a spreadsheet and for word processing. I actually like using Safari as my web browser and have installed it on my Dell XPS400. My dell is older, but it had a duocore processor so it is still good to use with Autocad. Given the price for new licenses on that baby, I don't plan on buying it for the Mac, but it is actually available for the Mac platform now. I just ordered my son a Macbook for Christmas. That's how impressed I am with the Mac OS and Apple computers. They seem expensive, but when you compare them with a Dell or other PC with the same features, you end up paying just as much. My XPS400, with dual HD's a CD and DVD burner as well as a Duocore 2.86 GHZ processor was $1,400 four years ago. So a good PC is no cheaper then a Mac. It is just that Apple doesn't make any 'cheap' budget machines. If you are afraid of a learning curve, don't be. You will get used to the Mac operating system in no time. Also, Apple loads everything you order on your machine before shipping it. With the iMac, you just plug the power cord into the monitor assembly, insure batteries are in the keyboard and mouse, then turn on the mouse and computer and it fires right up. Boot time for my machine, from a complete shut down, is 40 seconds. At that time I can open any program or go online. No more waiting 2 - 3 minutes just for Windows to load, then waiting forever for all the start up programs to load. Believe me, you'll fall in love with that 27" screen and how smoothly the OS-X Snow leopard operating system works. I have locked up a program only four programs in 9 months. In each case I was able to just shut down that program and continue on. In the Windows environment, such reliability is unheard of.

Many thanks for that - Sounds good to me. Wish I could buy in the US, the top of the range with 27" screen is $2650 in the UK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
What is a MAC?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am considering whether to purchase the 3.2GHz or the top of the range 2.8GHz Quad core? The most memory hungry software I use is Photoshop so is the top of range machine necessary for this?

What is the situation regarding Speaker Systems with the iMac? I have a Cambridge Soundworks 2 Speaker/Woofer System which runs on a soundcard on the PC. Would this run on the iMac?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the situation regarding Speaker Systems with the iMac? I have a Cambridge Soundworks 2 Speaker/Woofer System which runs on a soundcard on the PC. Would this run on the iMac?

What plugs/connectors do the speakers have? It's been a while since I have seen a Cambridge Soundworks 2.

In other words, trying to find out if it's a 2.1 System or 4.1 or whatever.
Which one is it.

http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com/category/41261219901/1/PCMultimedia.htm

Every speaker system they sell for computers seems to be a 2.1 System so should just plug into the normal output in back of the computer. If they were 4.1 or 5.1 systems with many miniplugs, then there would need to be an optical digital input on the speakers for 5.1 sound.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks dtravis, its a 2.1 system with one jack plug.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.