Anyone use an OWC Data Doubler?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've been seriously thinking of getting a data doubler for my macbook pro. I use the cd slot maybe once a month, which is a vast amount of great space potential for a small ssd drive.

Search Results for data doubler at MacSales.com

I would much rather use an external cd drive for the couple of times I might need to use it in one month, and put a 40-60gb ssd drive in there for the OS/programs, than have a cd drive taking up space.

But, seems like there are no topics on it here...yet.
Anyone know anything about it from experience?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But, seems like there are no topics on it here...yet.
Anyone know anything about it from experience?

Do a forum search for "Optibay". Just answered one post today on the same subject and there are at least two more floating around.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Do a forum search for "Optibay". Just answered one post today on the same subject and there are at least two more floating around.

Thanks for the info, but I was trying to focus more on the specific OWC units. I saw those, but it seems like I'm reading more cases of them working wrong than right(Optibay).

Anyways, since I already have a good hard-drive(Seagate Momentous XT 500gb Hybrid), I decided to just get a 30gb OCZ Agility, and install the OS on it, along with whatever programs will fit. If this works out well, I will upgrade to the OWC ssd's. Now I just gotta wait for it to come:(

For the optical bay, I ended up going with this and chose the version that also comes with an external optical enclosure: maxupgrades.com: MaxConnect Optical Bay kit for MacBooks & MacBook Pros Unibody Models

This is the ssd I chose because it has sweet reviews and runs well, and I got it for only 60 bucks new!:
Newegg.com - OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT30G 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

If everything works out well, I will be upgrading that ssd to one of these:
40GB Mercury Extreme Pro SSD 2.5" Serial-ATA... (SSDMX040) at OWC
OR
60GB Mercury Extreme Pro SSD 2.5" Serial-ATA... (SSDMX060) at OWC

Gotta get back to studying...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.