• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What time do you eat Thanksgiving dinner?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro. 2.66GHz. 8GB RAM. 256GB SSD. Hi-Res Antiglare Display
I eat twice that day as well. First meal (deep fried turkey) will be 1sh.. Second meal (traditional turkey & ham) will be 5-6 ish where I will actually be eating a hour to two after the meal was originally served.

In recognition of the day, I thought I'd post a few less commonly known facts about this great holiday.

1. Harvest festivals date back to the days of ancient Greece, Rome, the Hebrews, the Chinese, and the Egyptians.

2. Many original "Thanksgiving" festivals lasted several days and were often unrelated to any season and were more so linked to religious or victorious battle celebrations.

3. The first Thanksgiving in America wasn't called 'Thanksgiving' nor a 'holiday' and was perceived and celebrated by the Pilgrims as a secular ceremony. It was not repeated the following year.

4. The word "turkey" is a Native American (Wampanoag Indian) word to describe all wild fowl and, there is no evidence to suggest that the bird commonly known today as the turkey was present at the first Thanksgiving table. There were no pies, breads, cranberries (or anything sweet - the settlers had long run out of flour and sugar) and it is estimated that seafood was the primary source of meat for a majority of the settlers. The most meaty and fatty foods (venison) were reserved for the upper class (no 'sampling') and there were probably very few vegetables. There were also no potatoes (Europeans thought they were poisonous.)

5. President Lincoln was the first to appoint a day of thanksgiving on Nov. 21, 1863 and Congress made it a national holiday in 1941 (4th Thursday of November.)

6. Remember; The Thanksgiving Day word of the day will be: trencherman \TREN-chuhr-muhn\, noun: A hearty eater.

Happy Turkey Day Everybody - Gobble 'til you Wobble!

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I eat twice that day as well. First meal (deep fried turkey) will be 1sh.. Second meal (traditional turkey & ham) will be 5-6 ish where I will actually be eating a hour to two after the meal was originally served.

In recognition of the day, I thought I'd post a few less commonly known facts about this great holiday.

1. Harvest festivals date back to the days of ancient Greece, Rome, the Hebrews, the Chinese, and the Egyptians.

2. Many original "Thanksgiving" festivals lasted several days and were often unrelated to any season and were more so linked to religious or victorious battle celebrations.

3. The first Thanksgiving in America wasn't called 'Thanksgiving' nor a 'holiday' and was perceived and celebrated by the Pilgrims as a secular ceremony. It was not repeated the following year.

4. The word "turkey" is a Native American (Wampanoag Indian) word to describe all wild fowl and, there is no evidence to suggest that the bird commonly known today as the turkey was present at the first Thanksgiving table. There were no pies, breads, cranberries (or anything sweet - the settlers had long run out of flour and sugar) and it is estimated that seafood was the primary source of meat for a majority of the settlers. The most meaty and fatty foods (venison) were reserved for the upper class (no 'sampling') and there were probably very few vegetables. There were also no potatoes (Europeans thought they were poisonous.)

5. President Lincoln was the first to appoint a day of thanksgiving on Nov. 21, 1863 and Congress made it a national holiday in 1941 (4th Thursday of November.)

6. Remember; The Thanksgiving Day word of the day will be: trencherman \TREN-chuhr-muhn\, noun: A hearty eater.

Happy Turkey Day Everybody - Gobble 'til you Wobble!

Very Nice! I have to say, some of those facts surprised me! ;D

Reaction score
just reading all of that made me hungry. i prefer ham over turkey though. but still, you gotta have that turkey with mashed potatoes. all that food, all that weight. darn! happy thanksgiving to everyone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.