Transfer OS and Applications

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the site, and I did some searching before creating this thread, and I didn't quite find what I was after.

I have a 76 GB hard drive that contains my OS, all my applications and acts as my start up disk(it's my Macintosh HD). I also have a 232 GB hard drive that is just basic storage.

My question is, is there a way for me to move my Mac HD contents to this secondary hard drive without disrupting anything in the system or causing any errors?

I want the 232 GB drive to hold my OS, applications and be my start up disk and have my 76GB drive as extra storage. This is because my Mac HD drive only has 300MB left on it (not much breathing room) and I am currently only using 8 GB on my secondary drive. So to me it seems like a good idea switching the two, i just want to be sure how to do this correctly as not to screw up the whole system.

I though about just dragging and dropping, but i figured it can't be that simple.

Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!
Google them and pick one. Both are free and create a bootable clone of your Mac's hard drive.

OP
F
Reaction score
After I do this and copy to my secondary drive, am I free to erase the contents of my Mac HD drive since they now exist on my other drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes provided you make the larger HD master. if they are both internal drives, your startup disc is set as master and larger drive currently as slave. To change the jumpers, go to manufacturer's web site and see how to set them.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok, so my top drive doesn't look like it has a place for jumpers, and my bottom drive is set like this ::8: (i didn't change it to this). I went in and changed my start up disk to the secondary drive that now has everything cloned to it. Will this work? am i free to erase m Macintosh HD drive now that all my info is cloned?

Or can i get away with changing the positioning of the drives inside the computer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.