syncing photos from USB stick to 3Gs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

I am posting here as I originaly posted in the wrong forum in error.

I am sure this question has been asked many times but I can not find a relevant thread, as I have only recently moved to Mac from a PC up until now I have used a folder on a USB stick for Photo transfers to my iPhone 3Gs and select this in iTunes for syncing. It has always worked fine except for one issue.
Say the master folder on the USB stick is called iphone Sync then all files and folders within this are sent to the Iphone but with one issue which is duplication.

If I have a sub folder within the master folder called say fun then when synced a new library folder appears on the iPhone called fun which is as it should be re categorisation but the photos within this sub folder also appear in my iPhones photo library thus creating duplicates. I am still beginning and not fully conversant with iPhoto so using my above method is there any way to stop this duplication?

I have started to use iPhoto so am sure once I am confident all will be fine re creating new libraries, but your answers would be of great help to friends who have not seen the light :D and run PC`s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
I am sure that you will have a hard time getting replies on this, simply because no one uses this method. It is very simple to go ahead and import the images into iphoto. This will solve the problems you are having with very minimal effort.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

Thank you for your reply, still getting to grips with iPhoto and on my last sync using it I found not only did it create the desired libraries but it created three copies of each photo opposed to my normal two.

Also another icon appeared at the bottom of phone screen called events imported from iPhoto and this is where the third photo copies are, normally I just have two one called albums and one called places.

Maybe I am doing something wrong or is this just an apple iphone photo thing?:[

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They are not duplicate nor triplicate copies being imported into iPhoto. It only imports the single Master, which can be seen in several categories based on Event, Place, People... The categories merely provide a link to the original photo providing multiple ways to view and categorize them.

A single picture could be in multiple categories, for ex. a picture of Donna at her birthday party at the museum in LA. This could then appear in the category of pictures of Donna, Event - Donna's birthday - Place - all pictures at the museum - Place - all pictures in LA. In this case there could be maybe 5 places you could view this single photo that is in your library.

I would suggest you start with the video tutorials at Apple to gain a quick overview - link.

The days of the simple apps, open them up, start using them, understand everything they're doing - I think are just about gone. Everyone wants so many options any more, or just different options, to keep everyone semi-happy with an app, most of them today are requiring that you read, look at tutorials or something to get a good feel for what is actually going on.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

They are not duplicate nor triplicate copies being imported into iPhoto.

Thank you for the reassurance, so I seem to be using iPhoto and syncing OK, feel happier now playing with it and experimenting.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.