Airport Extreme plus what External Hard Drive

Reaction score
I have a new MBP and need to accomplish wireless backup. Shying away from Time Capsule due to bad reviews. If I get an Airport Extreme router, are there any suggestions on what type of wireless external hard drive i should get? Does that HD just plug directly into the Airport Extreme? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
My suggestion would be to reconsider the Time Capsule for wireless backups.
It's all set to go, no hassle with Airport Extreme and external HD selection ans such...

The initial TC's had some teething problems, but these are all behind us I would say.

My 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes, an external HDD would plug directly to the AE. You can get the same results using a decent router instead of the AE. Entirely up to your preference. As long as the router has a USB or FW plug in the back that matches to whatever type of ports your HDD has. Wireless backups aren't too bad if you do them frequently, but that very first one will be a killer! Consider at least doing the initial backup with your MBP plugged directly into your external HDD. This will save you HOURS of time!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.