How do you rename DVD burners?

Reaction score
I have two burners installed on and recognized by my iMac. They are both 22x LaCie d2 DVDRW DL LightScribe USB2&FW's.

They are attached via Firewire. The problem is that some software gets confused by both drives having the same name "TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223L" or programs like Toast Titanimin Pro 10 sees/lists both drives but I can't tell which one is which except to guess. Is there some way to rename one or both drives with its own unique name to show which drive is which. I love these drives which is why I bought a second one. But this problem is vexing I usually want to read from one drive and burn to the other in an uninterrupted operation without using my iMac internal burner.

Any help would be welcome. Thanks.
Timeraider

P. S. LaCie is working the issue seem to be having a problem understanding what I want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Welcome to the forums.

Why not use your iMac DVD as a reader and only keep 1 Lacie burner connected ?
Why make your life complicated ?

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like McBie said, use one at a time. You can't change the name of the DVD writer anyway as it's being read out by its firmware. That's how your iMac identifies it.

OP
Timeraider
Reaction score
Thanks for the help folk. I'll guess I'll have to read with my internal burner and burn with one LaCie switched on. I just thought some Mac Wizard or Lacie Support might have a work around. But no such luck.
Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.