best macbook unibody case?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I use my Macbook for work, so I'm constantly traveling with it. Which is better to protect it -- a neoprene case, or the hard shell?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It depends on whether you are talking about a shell case or a carrying bag.

Neoprene is a soft. It will only protect you against scratches. Most typical hard shell cases aren't much better at protection either so it depends on if you like the soft feel or a stiff case. The benefit with hard shell cases is that you can get ones that snap onto your laptop so that it's constantly on.

I don't really care much about scratches so I don't use a shell case protector. What I worry about is impact when transporting my laptop. The best protection for that is a good laptop carrying bag with plenty of cushioning. A hard laptop carrying bag is like a brief case and I find them too heavy and bulky for daily usage. A soft carrying bag with enough cushioning works well enough for me.

Once I'm at my destination and my laptop is out on the table I rarely have to worry about some random object hitting my laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Speck case may be best for traveling. It does add a little weight and thickness to the MBP, but not much. I ended up taking it off and put on a protective film for the bottom but leave everything else bare. The aluminum MBP looks too good to keep covered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.