Display Problem - Macbook

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently got an old Macbook (black model, from 2007) given to me and I love every bit of it! Although I think there is a problem with the display. Whenever the screen is black - for example, a screensaver. There is this purple line that appears? It's like a blur rather than a fixed line but it is in the same place and it's the same size each time?

Is my laptop going to break soon? I really can't afford a new one :( I just need two years out of this and I'll be getting a new one!

Thank you for your help,

LaMexMac

OP
L
Reaction score
It also happens when Word 2011 shows the choices for the documents menu, but it disappears once it's loaded? I don't know why on dark backgrounds, this purple blotch stain thing appears!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like a LCD defect - pixels most likely. Just live with it best you can unless you're in the mood to swap out the display. If it doesn't get any worse, you should be OK.

OP
L
Reaction score
lunigen skinn

Thank you for your reply. I hope it doesn't get any worse! I can live with it, as long as the purple line doesn't start to show more and more! A quick look has shown a replacement screen + fitting is £149.

Is there any sort of quick fixes for this? Or is it just a defect that only shows on black?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no quick fix for repairing an LCD that is defective. Other than replacing it that is. And something to keep in mind - sometimes replacing the LCD display panel on a machine that old introduces other problems. As I said, it's best if you can live with it and get as much use out of the machine as you can. At least until you can afford a new one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.