Can't Move Files From My External HD

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a first time user of MacForums and I'm hoping some of you can help me. I recently partitioned my external HD into a Mac portion and PC portion. After two weeks of problem free use, the other day it gave me an error message when I was copying a folder into the PC portion. The files in the folder looked normal but didn't route to the proper content. The larger problem was this: I could no longer move the files on the PC portion of my hard drive. I couldn't move them within the partition, I couldn't move them to my Mac desktop, and I couldn't delete them. A white circle with a white bar through it (like a 'no-smoking' sign) appears over my mouse pointer when I try to move them. The files still read properly, with the exception of the files which wouldn't route properly (I deleted them, by the way).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Welcome to the forums.

Any error messages ?
What is the file system of the PC partition ( FAT32, NTFS, ...) ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a first time user of MacForums and I'm hoping some of you can help me. I recently partitioned my external HD into a Mac portion and PC portion. After two weeks of problem free use, the other day it gave me an error message when I was copying a folder into the PC portion. The files in the folder looked normal but didn't route to the proper content. The larger problem was this: I could no longer move the files on the PC portion of my hard drive. I couldn't move them within the partition, I couldn't move them to my Mac desktop, and I couldn't delete them. A white circle with a white bar through it (like a 'no-smoking' sign) appears over my mouse pointer when I try to move them. The files still read properly, with the exception of the files which wouldn't route properly (I deleted them, by the way).

Sounds like the partition may have gone wonky - have you tried this? NTFS for Mac at Tuxera

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.