I pod touch as a travel computer or communicator

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)
I have bounce around with the I Pad, and the I pod touch 4th gen and a couple of book readers. I need an opinion on the usefulness of the I pod touch as a mini travel computer. I have no need for the I pad right now, and do not want to carry a net book, Maybe a I pad, but wanted to wait for the 2nd gen. All opinions appreciated.
PS travel will be mostly in Europe, and I use skype or Google voice/video to call friends and family as necessary. Also 3G service is too expensive to use in Europe, at least that is what I have been told.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
The last time I traveled through Europe (summer of 2008), I brought my iPod Touch but honestly all I really used it for was to play music in the car. As far as "staying in touch", all the hotels I stayed at had some sort of Internet lounge so I could check my email and stuff like that. Depending on where you are going, you might be able to find an Internet cafe along the way.

C

chas_m

Your post is way too vague about what you want to do to give you a considered answer. An iPod Touch and an iPad can do mostly the same things, a good range of options, but without knowing what you need done when you're away from your machine, it's very difficult to say whether they'd be adequate for you.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Sometimes you have to work with what you got. Sounds like it's going to be that way for you for awhile until you can get your hands on an iPad.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dang, it is hard to get specific in my needs, I worry about some of the apps like skype on the small screen and also e-mail. Is there an app or can it realistically talk to my bank for a emergency money issue. Like I said, I would buy and I pad, if the 2nd gen was out. I will be in a area/accommodations where I will have wifi and according to the owners, and many have used skype to call home or even do business.
I really guess, is that my question is is ipod touch's screen a bit small to be useful.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Dang, it is hard to get specific in my needs, I worry about some of the apps like skype on the small screen and also e-mail. Is there an app or can it realistically talk to my bank for a emergency money issue. Like I said, I would buy and I pad, if the 2nd gen was out. I will be in a area/accommodations where I will have wifi and according to the owners, and many have used skype to call home or even do business.
I really guess, is that my question is is ipod touch's screen a bit small to be useful.

I've used the ipod Touch and my iPhone as my travel computer/communicator. It works when you are in a pinch. Is the screen too small to be useful...? Well that varies person to person. That's something you are going to have to figure out for yourself.

I would do a dry run if you have/borrow an iPod Touch and try simulating what you will be doing when you do travel for one day or a few days.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

Thanks for the comments:)
I do realize that it is all up to me and my taste as to the size of screen. Dang, I thought the 2 gen ipad might be out by now. I hate to buy anything even if it is a good product, until the next gen. comes out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
As far as I know, Apple has never released the next generation of a product less than 12 months after the release of the current model. This means that when the 2nd generation iPad comes out, it won't be until next Spring (March/April?).

One other disadvantage of waiting is that no one knows what specific features the next generation will have. There are lots of websites, blogs and articles from industry "insiders", but only one person knows for sure and he ain't talking!

steve-jobs.jpg

One advantage of getting an iPad now is that... well... you get to use it now! As of yesterday, the new 4.2.1 iOS operting system was released and it has some great new features like multi-tasking and the ability to group apps in folders.

If you just gotta have a 2nd generation iPad when they come out some time next year, you can always put your current iPad on CraigsList or in the newspaper and probably get pretty close to what you paid for it!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, never thought of that

Putting a computer or what ever up for sale, i guess when mine are finished they are finished, with no value LOL
But, thanks for the refresher Idea of selling the older one. I have no idea what the market would be for a used I pad or anything in the tech world, especially after the new gen comes out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.