How do I connect my turntable to my mac?

Reaction score
I have a 1200 and it's connected to a really old receiver and I have a set of really old speakers too. The receiver is now on the fritz- it's about 20yrs old... a hand me down.

I'm wondering if I can somehow replace my receiver with my macbook and play the music through my computer speakers, which are probably way better than what I use now, thus simplicating my setup.

So how would I go about connecting my turntable to my macbook?
Do I just hook up my 1200 -> phono preamp -> macbook line in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
That would pretty much be it yes.

Reaction score
What is a 1200? Mine used to be a Kawasaki motorcycle! If it is a turntable, then you need to boost the signal before you connect to your Macbook.

I use one of these

Hope that link looks OK!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
[I think the 1200 refers to either Technics or RCA :)]

If you're going to hook the turntable into your Mac, why not consider converting your LPs to CD or DVD? There are a few audio recording applications - my preference would be WireTap - that would digitalize the analog signals from your turntable and save them as an audio file in a format that you would determine according to the quality desired. You would then burn those audio files to optical disk, thus preserving what I assume to be precious LP recordings.

[PS. this is a project I intend undertaking fairly soon, once I get the necessary gear organised and in place.]

C

chas_m

iMic can hook up the turntable without a preamp. Also works fine for line-level input (like cassette decks).

Reaction score
I could be wrong here, but I have never hooked a turntable to my macbook before. I always hook it to a receiver first. Furthermore, playing out of macbook speakers is going to be an awful sound as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.