Finder having "beachball of death" issues - as is Mail, and iTunes...Library problem?

Reaction score
HI

I am not able to access my email as macMail programme refuses to open and when it did finally open, it was back to my default setting (gmail and other accounts were gone). plus it says it can't build index - asks to quit and rebuild but it just freezes.

And all my preferences seem to have gone haywire (some here, but not all - ie, desktop picture is fine, but sidebar information all back to defaults)

I also get the spinning beachball of death when try to access my home folder - it will come, but eventually.... and not after me threatening the poor machine with imminent window-throwing....

all of this points (I think) to some sort of Library fault. Before this happened, I had just closed the lid and left it, when i opened it again, it seemed fine, but went out of the room for another hour, came back and it refused to do anything for a good 30 min. I force shut-down (probably the root of the issue, i realise) but how can I get it BACK?!!??! UGH!

please help. please.

pplease

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also may well be a hard drive problem. Boot from your install disc and run Repair Disk from there and see what is reported. Helps if you provide machine and OS details.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.