Can anyone help? I'm upgrading MacPros hard drives and ram

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I want to thank you in advance for anyone who would be kind enough to help me with this upgrade.

I do video stuff, mainly as a hobby for fun, not for work or anything, however I take it pretty seriously. I used to have a Powermac G5 years ago but for the past 4 or so years I've gotten along fine with my MacBook Pro because my projects have been small. I am starting to edit a larger project and wanted to have more power, so I picked up a Quad Mac Pro a little while in hopes of upgrading it when the time comes for me to start editing this project, well the time has come.

It currently has 1-500gb Hard drive and 2gb Ram. So I bought 2 WD Black 1 TB Drives which I would like to raid so that the second drive acts as a back up to the first 1 TB drive which I will be using for FCP, AE etc. I also bought 8gb of Ram to add. So at the end of the day I'll have 10gb Ram, a 500gb startup disc, and 2-1TB Drives Raided.

I have never installed this stuff before in a Macpro, though I have done Ram in my macbook pros.

I'm reaching out for any help in doing this. I'm mainly nervous about not the installation of the hard drives but the set up afterwards. As I said I've never done this before. So anyone that would be willing to talk me through it or give me any pointers or insight it would be much appreciated!

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
check out everymac.com for the ram (it has to be installed in pairs) - find your spec and look for the instructions there

As for RAID, install the disks, reformat them and configure them as a Raid 1 system in Disk Utility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
In addition to, or as an alternative to, Everymac, try Mactracker. Lots of useful information for every Mac owner.

OP
B
Reaction score
check out everymac.com for the ram (it has to be installed in pairs) - find your spec and look for the instructions there

As for RAID, install the disks, reformat them and configure them as a Raid 1 system in Disk Utility

So do I won't have to reinstall the OS on the drives right? That's the part that I really don't understand. Once I add the drives I just configure them as raid 1 and thats it?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For what you want, perhaps an SSD hard drive may well be the shot for the operating system, Snow Leopard recommended, and the 1TB drives installed in slots two and three for back ups etc. SSD are by far the quickest form of drive to install. Also an increase of memory to 8GB would be a great boost.

Memory is easy to install in the Risers, must be matched pairs however. The user guide shows how to install drives and memory. Just select your Quad from this memory selection:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory

And Mercury Extreme SSD:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_SSD_Sandforce/Solid_State_Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.