• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

HP drops iPods - Good or Bad for Apple?

B

Badger

HP is discontinuing sales of its iPod line. On the one hand HP was able to sell the iPod in stores that don't do much with Apple products; on the other hand the HP models may have reduced sales for Apple and diluted the market for the iPod. So what do you think: good for Apple or bad?

OP
I

iMe

I dont think it will hurt iPod sells. I dont think too many average people even knew that Apple had "hp style" ipods to begin with. Plus, Apple just struck a deal with Radioshack, so I only see a benefit here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
iMe said:
I dont think it will hurt iPod sells. I dont think too many average people even knew that Apple had "hp style" ipods to begin with. Plus, Apple just struck a deal with Radioshack, so I only see a benefit here.

I agree... I wasn't too enthralled over the idea of HP selling Apple's iPod in the first place. It's an Apple product... I'd rather people go into Apple stores or to Apple.com to buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
But are they still bundling iTunes with HP computers?
That might hurt Apple, since HP is a big player in the PC market...

Reaction score
I thought the HP iPod was supposed to use HP's distribution capacity so the iPod would reach new store, but all the stores I have seen that carry iPods carry Apple ones, even big stores like Walmart. I just think it didn't really work, I don't think it'll change anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
mynameis said:
I thought the HP iPod was supposed to use HP's distribution capacity so the iPod would reach new store, but all the stores I have seen that carry iPods carry Apple ones, even big stores like Walmart. I just think it didn't really work, I don't think it'll change anything.

That's very true... I even noticed looking through the paper last week that pretty much all the major electronics stores are carrying them... and all of them are carrying the Apple versions. iPod is a household name anymore... in fact dare I say it every bit as much consumer recognition... if not more... than HP does. I think Apple is going to do just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4729907.stm

I think that it is a positive step due to the fact that the ipod name is now a household brand, just as walkman was for sony. With the market share and continuing development of the ipod then I guess it will do just fine. The 5% of total sales that HP brought to the table then I am sure that this will seem very igsignificant over the longer term.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Crap I voted on the wrong one.

I wanted to vote on "It doesn't matter" Option :)

Sorry

OP
B

badmojo

HP is grasping at anything that could bolster it's image. Before I ever owned a Mac I got an iPod, yet I never considered getting the HP model. "What was I getting, really?" An Apple product with an HP pad-printed logo on it?. Apple has far better branding and recognition than HP ever will.

OP
U

UncSki1218

I voted doesn't matter. While the hp ipods made apple look bad they did help. I read somewhere that the hp ipods consisted of 5% of all ipods. That is because many people who would never dare enter an apple store could go somewhere else. Overall apple can make up for the 5% themselves. Now with more poularity apple can sell all by themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
I've always thought HP selling the ipod was a bad idea, so I'm glad this happened it didn't really seem like a very good investment for HP especially since they've been heading to the financial dumps since 2001

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20'' 2.0GHz 2gb Ram 400gb HDD
I really don't think it matters at all, I mean, come on, who doesn't know what an iPod is, It's seen in Movies, It's A household name, Apple doesn't need HP's Help selling them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
doesn't affect apple sales one way or another. HP wasn't a big selling point with the iPod.

now if apple coulc get Dell to sell the iPod (don't everybody groan at once :) )then that would be something. (will never happen since Dell has it's own mp3 player to sell, which is actually doing quite well!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
scooter said:
doesn't affect apple sales one way or another. HP wasn't a big selling point with the iPod.

now if apple coulc get Dell to sell the iPod (don't everybody groan at once :) )........

GROAN!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Shadowfax said:
I really don't think it matters at all, I mean, come on, who doesn't know what an iPod is, It's seen in Movies, It's A household name, Apple doesn't need HP's Help selling them

Even HRH Queen Elizabeth II was recently pictured with one.. That for me shows the royals are in touch with joe public :spook:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe the HP logo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
yes the apple logo looks soooo much better !!

OP
I

iDVFH.

The only way the HP iPod would have appealed to me was if the price was lower than the Apple ones..but it wasn't even that..I'd rather spend the same amount on the company I support.. I really think HP started selling them so Windows users who didn't like Apple would buy them because it's not "Apple" even though it still completely was lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.