Front USB ports not functioning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Former Mac user who still hangs around and preys on the prairie graziers :)
Hello community,

I had a local company build me a machine. However, i have noticed that the frontal USB ports do not work, at all. However, the rear ports work just fine.

I checked device manager and and all drivers look to be working properly.

I'm running an i5 dual core, gtx 460, and windows 7 professional 64 bit.

Untitled.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like they just didn't physically plug them in, or the motherboard doesn't have a header they can plug into. You could always pop the side panel off, take a look at the leads from the USB ports on the front and trace them to see where they're plugged in (if they are at all). And if they are, check to see if the connector is oriented properly (reference the motherboard manual that they should have provided you with).

OP
Bushwookie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
they did not provide me with the manual =[

I checked the physical connections and they were loose, but now when i plug in a device it gives me a code 43 error and the devices are coming up as unknown. They are also not functioning still D:

I know that they are plugged into the right ports and such but that is as much as I know.

2.jpg

1.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
they did not provide me with the manual =[

If it were me, I'd either go back to the shop and get it, or find the motherboard model and download it. Anytime you're dealing with a custom-built PC, that manual will come in handy.

I checked the physical connection and they were losse, but now when i plug in a device it gives me a code 43 error and the devices are coming up as unknown. They are also not functioning still D:

It's probably not oriented right, assuming it's not keyed to only go in one way. I've seen those kinds of connectors, but I've also seen examples that are individual pins or can be oriented in a number of ways. It really depends on model of case and motherboard.

Another troubling thing is - if they didn't even bother to fully test the machine after building it, it wouldn't surprise me if the connector was oriented wrong and the header was damaged as a result.

Either way, I'd probably take it up with the shop. Any decent shop should stand behind their work. Oh, and next time - I'd highly recommend you build it yourself. Seriously - a trained chimp can build one of these things. It's not like it was in the old days.

OP
Bushwookie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah i am not very happy about them not giving me the manual. They gave me my cpu and gpu manuals but not the mobo D:

They give me 3 year manu warranty so i suppose that is nice.

EDIT: I've updated my BIOS and tried disabling legacy mode and enabling backwards compatability mode still no luck. I'm pretty frustrated as this may be a hardware problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.