Burning photos to CD

Reaction score
First, sorry for my english, I'm French.....

I want to free up some space on my hard disk and save all the pictures I have in I photo on a CD. I also want to be able to read them on a windows-based computer or send them to a lab.

Here is my problem, when I do it through File --> Export, it automatically duplicates them on my hard disk which, then, runs low on space. So I'm stuck and can't do anything. Great.

I tried creating a Burn Folder, the same thing happened and I couldn't even drag one pic into it. I'm so frustrated with I photo right now :Grimmace:, could someone please tell me what to do to fix this? Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
The way I do it, and others have different methods of course, is to use a program called Burn, which is free, or Toast if you have it, and simply insert a blank CD, drag my individual folders from the iPhoto window into Burn (data disc mode) and burn them that way.
They should be readable on a Windows machine too.

Have a look at this thread to give you an idea of what I mean, but instead of dragging to a HD drag to disc in Burn/Toast.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-applications-games/211264-backup-iphoto.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
i would consider an external drive for all your photos or maybe just the older ones. you can create a second library on the new external drive by holding down the option key when you boot iPhoto. The external CD's would be a good backup for you also. i got in the habit of making a CD from the SD card before i imported into iPhoto. Then i got an external drive (several in fact) and use time machine. i also added Carbonite to backup off line.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I agree with using an external HD for storage, but honestly if your HD is so full that you can't burn CDs you really need to consider a new HD, if for no other reason than Leopard and Snow Leopard both require adequate free disk space to run properly, and from your post it sounds like you don't have it.

C

chas_m

Another simple, free option for making sure that photos from iPhoto are burned onto a CD or DVD in such a way that PCs and everyone else can deal with them:

iPhoto To Disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
Unfortunatley, Apple's built-in CD burning app creates copies of the files and burns the copies. As mentioned, Toast or Burn (and a few other apps) will burn form the original source file and don't require the added HD space to make a copy first.

And as Razor mentioned, you really should consider adding a larger HD. If you can't get an extra 650-700MB of space available, you're flirting with disaster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Boubou - you really need to make some space on your hard drive. Surely there must be temporary files, log files or such that you can get rid of? One way if there really is nothing that you can lose is to burn a few small files first, then delete them from the HD before burning a few more. In this way you'll gradually free up enough space to burn (and then delete) a full CD/DVD's worth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.