I'm sick of rebooting.

Reaction score
Im not too deep in to apple, but I do enjoy using this software. I bought my mac book air 7 months a go. I used it for casual stuff. Movies, net, writing documents and making low profile vids. 3 days a go while i was watching a movie, had 3 windows open, skype running and maybe few d loads going and then it just froze on me. All I could do was to reboot it. That went on and on. If i pressed safari icon in any way it froze. If i pressed skype it froze. Now I deleted a lot of files by listening to my amateur heart, but all I can do is sit here in firefox with nothing else opened or used. Not even softs that don't need inter net. I don't know what options I even have (not even the simplest ones )

For 7 months ive done no updates, but that dosent sound like a prob.

Thanx for your time and I hope I get help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Sonoma
Hardware issue

Sounds like a hardware issue as freezes like those can be down to something like faulty memory or a motherboard problem. Take the Mac to an Apple Shop to get a technician to diagnose it properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
I think you must have a faulty Mac.
After all, you aren't asking it to do to much at once and it sounds like you've really been looking after it correctly.
Take it back and ask for a refund.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'd want more detail as to what exactly was going on when you said:
3 days a go while i was watching a movie, had 3 windows open, skype running and maybe few d loads going and then it just froze on me. All I could do was to reboot it

-watching a movie
-3 windows open
-skype running
-maybe a few downloads

Without even knowing any of the details, and without knowing the specs of your MBA, sounds like you may have had quite a load going!
The MBA's until the latest releases were in no way a workhorse, but even then, watching a movie, 3 windows of what you don't specify open, skype running, 'maybe' a few downloads (whatever a few is and how big they were), there is so much more to this mystery that needs to be shared before any answers with any weight behind them can come to light.

Adding to this, you haven't run any of the updates, and I can only assume no simple maintenance whatsoever.
How full is your HD?
Is your trash empty?
Do you have startup items at login?
Have you repaired disk permissions?
Have you run an Apple hardware test?

You can see where I'm going?

Not enough info on what exactly is going on and what steps you have taken.

Please post back with all of the above and any questions that you have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
There was no need to PM that, and it's better in the thread so people with the same problem can see what the solution was.
So, I'll quote the PM here and start hitting it point by point.

"Im sick of rebooting" answers
Thanks for the set of questions. Ill try to answer as specific as I can. Apple in deeply is not my topic but still this Computer has all my life on it so you may receive answers not in a computerized language.

A movie.
Like 3- 4 windows of the same site different places.
Skype was just on. Its working all the time.
Downloads. Well it reckon it happened when I for the first time in my life downloaded 3 harry potter movies at the same time and watching one at the same time.

Ill be honest and I need some honest no critize directions. I have no updates since i've got the machine.
I have no run any maintance ( I don't even know how)
I made it a lot emptier after I had this problem but even before it happened i once got a warning it's too full so I deleted like 10 movies and never got it again.
My trash is always empty.
Start up items ? Is it like when i turn on the mac, which soft starts automatic ? Skype turns on but does not log in.

I have not repaired disk permissions and I would love to be guided trough it.
I have not run apple hardware test and no I don't know how to do it.

It keeps freezing on me while im writhing this so please reply m8.

The first time it happened with the 3-4 browser windows open, skype open, DL'ing 3 movies and watching one movie, I am not really surprised your MBA froze.
I think that is quite a load for the old MBAs.

The main thing in all this that I can see..... Full or near full Hard Drive!
This is a major problem and also would have a lot to do with what happened and is still happening.
You should have, as a rule of thumb, 15-20% free space at all times.
The most common way of using up HD space is with movies, and this is why it is best to keep movies on an external HD.

Now, If you don't have an external superdrive (the one that works with the MBA) and install discs, it makes it very difficult to tackle the HD, as I think there would be what is called 'bad sectors' now, after the HD being so full, and in order to verify and repair this, you need to be able to boot off the original install disc, or off an external HD with a clone of your system.
Since you are still under warranty, unless you have a MBA superdrive already, or an external HD that you can clone your MBA onto, then I would be making an appointment with Apple Genius Bar.

Repairing disk permissions, this you would also want to do booted off your install discs in an external HD or off an external HD clone.

Cloning software. Carbon Copy Cloner Carbon Copy Cloner - Home in case you can do this.

Now, you can start dumping a serious amount of movies to free up the space I recommended, and then do the following.

You can do a basic permissions repair by going in the finder menu to Go>Utilities>Disk Utiity, and select your HD, and then select repair disk permissions. (in all likelihood even though a lot of messages will come up, I don't believe that this will rectify the problem at all).

Finally, click >software update!

Hopefully the freeing up major amount of disk space will get you back on the road, and otherwise, as I said, if you don't have a MBA superdrive, an appointment with your your nearest Apple Genius Bar sounds like a good idea.

OP
T
Reaction score
Do you consider reinstalling the mac would help ? Like start fresh and do all the updates there are ?

Could it help ? is the question.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do you consider reinstalling the mac would help ? Like start fresh and do all the updates there are ?

Could it help ? is the question.

Could it help? Yes. Is it necessary? No. Start by making sure that you have plenty of free space on the system drive and then go from there.

Let's put it this way - if your car won't start, you usually want to make sure it has some gas before you start rebuilding the engine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.