Help with unresponsive iMac after attempt to duel boot

Reaction score
I might be in a situation here, and I am asking for the help of those smarter than me. I am on the iMac g10 (I think) with the newest snow leapord.

So I am trying to duel boot ubuntu, but while I'm trying to create a partition, my disc utility says it can't verify the disc and to run the osx install cd. So I put the cd in and hit the utilities buton, and accept the reboot. I guess this changed my boot order to cd first or something because now I cant boot osx.

The disc is like stuck making dj noises, back and forth back and forth, and the little apple with the spinner under it just sits there. I have waited like 10 minutes and nothing has happened. I have tried holding d, mouse, and c, but nothing works. Please help save my only computer.

I really need help here. I don't want to have ot take my computer in for repairs. Thanks for reading

Dk

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Watch this video on You Tube. Once you get the disk out, reset the PRAM/NVRAM. Hopefully, you haven't messed up your OS X boot sector by trying to dual boot Ubuntu.

OP
D
Reaction score
hey mac fans. 2nd post in 2 days. so, i am trying to install ubuntu on my mac. i have partitioned my drive with about 200 gigs of free space. i have the newer imac. so i insert the cd, and boot into it, but when i hit install, the screen goes black, and the dvd starts choking. i wait like 5 minutes, then i power down. i simply cant get past that first live cd menu. can anybody help me?

sorry for being a noob at duel booting. i am acutally pretty good with android hacks, but this mac stuff is a whole new world to me.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I, personally, run Linux through VirtualBox on my 27" iMac. I make a VM with 2G of memory and give it 4 processors and Linux runs quite nice in there..

Unless there is a SPECIFIC reason you are trying to dual-boot OS X and Linux..this might be a viable option for you..

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not start another thread. Post back to the same thread to avoid multiple answers and forum clutter.

And by the way..... DUEL = Settling a dispute between two people with weapons.

DUAL = Consisting of two parts.

OP
D
Reaction score
Please do not start another thread. Post back to the same thread to avoid multiple answers and forum clutter.

And by the way..... DUEL = Settling a dispute between two people with weapons.

DUAL = Consisting of two parts.

hah sorry for spelling dual wrong. anyways, i started a 2nd thread because it seemed totally unrelated. i fixed the problem (somehow) but i still cant dual boot. i made a large free space partition, and boot from disk. i choose install ubuntu, but then i just get a black screen and here the disk whirrring for like 5 minutes. then i shut down and try again. still fails. please help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.