Best setup for ssd 27 imac

Reaction score
I just got my 27 i7 with ssd +2tb. I have a question storing files. I have copied the user and apps folder to the 2tb. I will store all files on the 2tb and only use the ssd for apps. Can I point the ssd user files to show the 2tb drive. On my old win7 machine when I clicked on music it showed my music from a different drive

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're referring to iTunes and iPhoto, yes, you can use an external drive for storage of music, photos, etc. Just follow Apple's directions for storing your music and photo libraries on an external drive. Note that some applications may not function or even allow its data files to be on an external drive.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dear lilmill

I have exactly the same iMac set up as you. And I had exactly the same difficulties owing to my naivety (a sort of "got the gear - no idea!" in my case). Now clearly, you are a lot more "savvy" than I.

How I managed things, if it helps, was to keep all Applications on the SSD and move everything else to my HD - which in my case is 1TB and labelled HD2 on my system.

Moving iPhoto, iTunes and Aperture libraries all have detailed accounts of how to do this on the AppleSupport site and on Mac-Forums.

The process of doing this automatically "connects" the App on SSD to the Library on HD2 so that all Apps open in exactly the same way as if everything was on one HD. Click on iTunes or Aperture in the Dock and you're immed. into the programme and its library.

(My Documents and any bits & pieces, I moved manually.)

Has this answered your question? Or have I just been waffling?

If I can do anything, the rest of the world can probably manage blindfolded.

One thing — I'm not sure how Time Machine arranges the backup. In the event of a complete reinstate from TM, I don't know whether it would try to put everything on to the SSD or simply replicate the SSD/HD2 split which you have set up.

Best of luck. It's a great system.

Ian

OP
L
Reaction score
Workin with ssd boot drive have ?'s

I just got the 27 i7 with the ssd and 2tb.I have copied the user folder on the ssd to the 2 td. I like the file structure and it will make it easier to back up the user fold to my drobo. I have also taken the default documents folder of the launch bar and placed the documents folder from hd2 so that will launch. But is there a way to make documents folder on hd2 the default. Now if I create a new document and save it it goes to documents on the hd1 drive. I want it to default to documents on hd2.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know a way to change the default location of only the Documents folder. It probably requires some use of the terminal and I'm no terminal guy. You can pretty easily change the default location of your entire Home folder. Am guessing this would probably work better with your setup. Here's a How To.

OP
L
Reaction score
worked great i actually read that before i got the mac. I just have to make sure the next time i install something that it goes to hd1

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged essentially duplicate threads.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks lilmill. For you and bobtomay:

Just to clarify one point. With Time Machine - what exactly is it backing up given we have a SSD and a HD2?

Does it backup both? Or just HD2? This is kind of crucial!

In other words, if worse come to worse, and a complete restore from TM is needed, will it restore the SSD AND the HD2 exactly as they were before or just restore the HD2 contents?

Obviously I don't quite understand - again!

Ian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
??? Guess one of you two get to let us know. I'd find it hard to believe that Time Machine wouldn't know where your home folder is located. Particularly when you've used the option within OS X to set the location.

I'd guess that in the case of failure of the system drive, you would need to install OS X and change the location of the home folder prior to the restore with Time Machine.

It's easy enough to know for sure though if TM still backs up the home folder after moving it to the 2nd drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.